2024 Mardi Gras Safety Tips
February 05, 2024
As Mardi Gras approaches, please review these tips to help you stay safe at parades and events:
- Attend parades in groups and make sure everyone is accounted for, during and after.
- Walk on well-lit streets and don’t wander down empty streets or walk alone at night.
- Limit what you carry on your person (small amount of cash, ID, health insurance card, one credit card).
- Carry items in your front pockets, or if using a purse, carry it across your torso to discourage pickpockets.
- Stay behind barricades and listen to police and officials on the parade route.
- Don’t harass police horses or float riders.
Vehicle and Parking Safety:
- Lock your car and don’t leave the keys inside. Many car thefts and car burglaries occur because the vehicles are left unlocked and the keys/key fob are inside.
- Don’t leave valuables in plain sight in your car; this invites a break-in.
- Be cautious when using rideshare services. Confirm your driver’s name and vehicle type on the app and when the driver arrives, ask them “Who are you here for?” This helps ensure they are a legitimate driver and not someone posing as a driver to rob you.
- Only park in legal spaces. In New Orleans, don’t park along parade routes or in the French Quarter or you’ll get towed.
- For those who are 21 and older and plan to drink, please do so responsibly.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Always have a designated driver.
- Stay hydrated with water.
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers and do not allow strangers to handle your drinks.
For more safety tips, visit the LSU Safety site.
Have a safe and happy Mardi Gras!