Performance Evaluations for Student Employees
Performance evaluations are an essential component to student learning on the job. This allows for a structured way for students to grow professionally and to mimic the world of work beyond their university job.
Conducting Performance Evaluations with Student Employees
- Have a set schedule for conducting performance evaluations and let the employees know to expect them upon hire.
- Secure a quiet location, where other student employees cannot hear the evaluation.
- Schedule evaluations in advance so that the employee knows when it is happening. Usually, 1-2 weeks’ notice is recommended.
- Review the student employee’s job description and any office policies during this time. A quick review of office policies during each evaluation is good to keep office policies top of mind.
- Have a formal evaluation document in which you review it with the student. Download this example evaluation template.
- If the student employee is working in customer service related role like answering phones or greeting at your front desk, you may want to provide them with something like this sample Customer Service Focused Self-Assessment.
- Include the opportunity to set goals.
- Allow the employee an opportunity to ask questions or discuss any concerns or issues.
- If there is a performance concern, it should be directly addressed in the performance evaluation. Provide the employee with information on how they can improve and the plan for tracking improvement.
- Avoid comparing student employees to each other or professional staff members.
- The student employee and the evaluator should sign the evaluation. A copy of the evaluation should be given to the employee and the original should be kept with the department in a secure location.
Concerned about a student employee’s performance?
- Address it privately in an appropriate setting.
- Establish a plan for how improvement will be measured. A formal document/plan should be written down and signed by the student and supervisor.
- Document specific instances. You may use the HRM Coaching Session Form to document your session.
- Check-in regularly with the employee to track their improvement.