Parent & Family Programs Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Parent & Family Programs Newsletter.
With spring course scheduling just around the corner, it’s time to assess and plan for the future. Is you student doing well in their major? Are they enjoying what they are learning? Does this major still seem a good fit? Can they answer the question, “What career options are you exploring?”
Students have many options associated with their major, but many do not take the time to set goals and take steps to achieve them.
Here is a road map to career success:
- Meet with a career counselor, coach or advisor to explore options and set goals
- Take career assessments to learn more about themselves and careers that offer a good fit
- Activate their Handshake account to see the array of networking events and internship postings
- Create a resume and stop by the Olinde Career Center for a 10-minute walk-in resume review
- Attend a Major Mining Workshop
- Consider summer plans and apply for jobs and internships of interest in Handshake. Most internships are filled by the end of March!
The Career Expo is just around the corner with over 200 employers attending in hopes of recruiting LSU Tigers for internships and full time professional positions!
Learn more about the event and how students can prepare:
- Career Expo Week includes a one-day Career Expo for students of all majors on Feb. 13, and networking receptions for engineering and business students on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 respectively.
- Students can research companies they want to network with prior to the events in their Handshake account under the Events tab.
- The LSU Olinde Career Center is hosting several workshops and presentations to get students prepared for Career Expo Week:
February 5: Geaux Get Hired Workshop
Put your best foot forward at Expo with this workshop focused on résumés, your elevator pitch, and how to work the Expo!
Two sessions offered; 12-1:30 p.m. and 4:30-6 p.m. in the Career Center Classroom, 256J LSU Student Union.
February 6: Expo Prep Workshop
Get tips on how to make the most of Expo, including tips on networking and your elevator pitch.
4:30 - 6 p.m., PFT 1202
February 7: Résumé Workshop
5 - 6:30 p.m., PFT 1202
Resume writing tips can also be found here.
February 4-12: Expo Walk In Hours
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. in 158 LSU Student Union (across from the ATMs).
Welcome to 2019! With the new year upon us, please remind your student that taking small steps toward their career this semester will lead to success at graduation and beyond. We offer students a fresh approach with the following eight Career Resolutions for spring 2019:
- I will start fresh by reviewing the Four-Year Career Plan in January to ensure I am taking all the right actions to succeed
- I will explore the networking events offered and prepare for and research organizations attending the Career Expo being held on February 13 and other events and attend Suit Up, if my wardrobe needs a professional upgrade.
- I will take or review my Career Assessments offered by the LSU Olinde Career Center to crystalize my career options
- I will network with professionals in my field of interest to confirm that the field is a good fit
- I will start now to find a summer job or internship related to my field to gain professional experience
- I will write a resume and schedule an appointment for a resume review
- I will upload my resume into the Handshake system
- I will register for LHRD 3331, Strategic Career Planning, a 3-credit elective course designed to guide students through the comprehensive system of career choice and job search skills development
Please encourage your student to take charge of their future by fulfilling their New Year’s Career Resolutions!
We at the LSU Olinde Career Center wish much happiness and success in 2019. We are open during the Winter Break and available for student appointments and services. Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
December is such an exciting month for you and your student(s)! Exams are in full swing and students will need to stay focused to do their best, while looking forward to returning home for the holidays and some much-needed time to destress. During the Winter Break, why not have a relaxed conversation about where they are heading? Help them consider their career goals and incorporate steps in their career development that may inspire even greater success in their academic performance and increase career confidence. Here are a few questions to guide a productive discussion:
- How do they feel about their academic performance this fall? Did they enjoy their coursework and do well? Are they satisfied that they are in the right field of study?
- Have they set a career goal and explored it? Resources on our website can help!
- Do they have a plan to gain major-related experience this summer through an internship or other related work experience?
- Would they benefit by being introduced to people in your personal and professional network who work in fields your student is interested in? Networking gives students a huge advantage in clarifying career goals and accessing industry information!
- Are they taking advantage of the wide array of resources offered by the LSU Olinde Career Center to confirm their goals through career assessments and counseling, obtain internship or full time career opportunity information and polish their resume and job search skills?
- Are they preparing for the Career Expo being held on February 13, 11 AM – 4 PM, where over 180 employers will network with students to share information about their industry and organization while recruiting students for internships and professional employment?
- Do they have appropriate attire to attend career fairs this spring and project a professional image? The LSU Olinde Career Center will again partner with JC Penney to offer “Suit Up!” an annual one-evening event in which LSU students can purchase business attire for 70% off regular prices. This event will be held about one week before the Career Expo.
We at the LSU Olinde Career Center wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season. We will be open during the Winter Break and available for student appointments and services. We will observe the official LSU campus closure dates from December 22 through January 1.
Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website lsu.edu/careercenter or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In celebration of National Career Month, we are offering students an invitation to:
- Stop by the career center during our Walk-in Hours to learn more about our center and its many resources and services or schedule a personal appointment.
- Take a career assessment to discover a college major or career that fits!
- Schedule an appointment for help with selecting a major or career, finding an internship, resume assistance, or graduate school decisions.
- Register for the popular 3-credit general elective spring course, LHRD 3331 - Strategic Career Planning to take a comprehensive approach to finding a great career.
- Create a résumé and bring it in for a 10 minute walk-in resume review, Monday through Friday, 1:00 to 3:30 PM.
- Share what you're doing with us! If you've secured a full-time, part-time job or internship, we want to celebrate with you. Email email@example.com with a picture of yourself, the name of your company, and a brief description of what you're doing, using the subject line "Career Month Submission." We'll be sure to share on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
Parents can celebrate, too! If your organization is in need of interns or permanent professional staff, our Handshake system is the perfect place to post your job announcement, free of charge. Find the help you need while providing our LSU Tigers a good opportunity to grow and contribute their talents to your organization.
Check out our resources and services at the LSU Olinde Career Center by visiting lsu.edu/careercenter or 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With October comes an opportunity to stop and think forward. Mid-term exams are just around the corner and course scheduling for the spring follows soon after. So October is the month to explore career options. If your student is still undecided or discovering that their major is not a good fit, now is the perfect time to schedule an appointment with a career counselor or advisor to develop a strategy for success!
Here are some of our favorite tools for making a solid choice of major or career:
- Career Counseling, Advising and Coaching Appointments
- Career assessments
- List of LSU majors
- What Can I Do with This Major? (Scroll down web page to “Finding a Major” section)
If your student is happily making progress toward their career goal, this is perfect timing to explore summer internship options. The best opportunities often have fall application deadlines, so please encourage your student to check out internship opportunities on Handshake. As of this writing, there are over 1,200 internship opportunities posted!
Do you have a senior in hopes of graduating soon? Our career coaches are ready to help! From scheduled appointments to 10-minute walk-in, our team can assist with resume reviews, job search strategies, interview skills building and much more. No time to come in? Lots of resources are “grab and go” on our website including the popular LSU Olinde Career Center Student Career Guide, tips and tactics organized in the Find A Job section of the Student tab on the LSU Olinde Career Center website.
We hope you will share your student’s college to career journey by encouraging them to begin with the end in mind. Excellent careers don’t just happen. Just like football, it’s all about the goal and how to get there!
Fall has arrived – Help Your Student Get a Game Plan! By now, your student is beginning to settle into the semester. The campus is busy engaging students in activities and new Tigers are beginning to feel at home. While new friends, new classes, new living spaces and a whole new schedule are taking center stage, please remind your student that this semester holds many exciting career-related activities and services. Here are just a few:
- Handshake – Our new platform for all things career! All students need to activate their LSU Handshake account to access exciting career events, part-time jobs, internships and resources.
- Career Expo – This 3-day event is a must for every student from freshmen to seniors. Students can check out details and tips for success at the Career Expo site. If you student needs to upgrade their professional wardrobe, check out Suit Up!, a partnership with JC Penney.
- 10-Minute Walk-ins - General Questions and Resume Reviews – Mon-Fri, 1:00 – 3:30 PM
- Individual Career Appointments – Students can schedule an individual appointment with a career counselor or coach on choosing a major, taking career assessments, finding an internship or part-time job, perfecting their resume or interview skills, or simply polishing their job search skills.
- The Four-Year Career Plan – A resource always accessible to students. Those who accomplish the recommended items each year confirm that they are heading in the right direction, immerse themselves in exploring career options and transition seamlessly from college to career success. Check it out!
- Major Miners workshops on September 25, 26 and 27 for students who are undecided about their college major,
or would like to confirm that their major is a good fit. Learn more.
- Major Miners Workshop:
- 129 Himes Hall
- Tues, Sept 25, 1:30-2:30
- Wed, Sept 26, 2:30-3:30
- Thurs, Sept 27, 3:00-4:00
- Major Miners Workshop:
By taking a few steps to ensure career success, your student will know they have a game plan and ensure their confidence that the goal is in sight!
Check out the resources and services on the LSU Olinde Career Center website or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
Are you wondering if your student is on the right career track? Wondering if you should intervene or what kind of advice to give your student? Here are some excellent resources to help you prepare your student to begin a successful year at LSU:
- Ask your student how they are feeling about starting or returning to school. Check in with them about their college major. Are they considering how they will use their learning in a related career?
- Has your student set up their Handshake account to ensure that they keep up with all the career events and happenings throughout the school year?
- Are they preparing for the Fall Career Expo Sept. 11&12? All students, regardless of whether they are an incoming freshman or graduating senior, should attend.
- Did they check out the Olinde Career Center website to explore the wide range of resources including the Choosing Your Major Resource Guide, Four-Year Career Plan, Career Assessments, What Can I Do with This Major?, Student Career Guide, Salary Calculator and list of career events?
- And most importantly, has your student called or logged in to Handshake to schedule a meeting with one of our career experts on career decision making, finding a great internship, polishing their resume and job search skills or preparing for graduate or professional school?
If you can answer all of the above with an emphatic “YES,” then you have earned an A+! So, give yourself a pat on the back and keep up the good work! The encouragement you give your student will pay you back in rewards that last a lifetime.
Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website lsu.edu/careercenter or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With summer jobs and summer adventures well underway here are some things you can do to help your student take critical next steps in their career development.
Help your students explore possibilities
Summer jobs help students develop new skills, transferrable to the professional world. Ask how they are doing in their work, what aspects they enjoy and what facets of the work they are naturally good at. Travel also enhances life skills that translate to career skills. Discuss how their new experiences are helping them become better planners, risk takers and communicators. Ask how their understanding of diverse people may have changed as they interacted with others they encountered.
Encourage them to set aside time this summer for career work
It’s time to review the Four-Year Career Plan as a “Career Check-up” to see if they are making progress toward their career goals. If your student hasn’t completed their Handshake profile, now is the time! They can explore careers and employers, upload their resume for review and scope out a strategy for making the next year one of career-related accomplishments. With a little more time to focus attention on career, why not take our online career assessments to see if they are in the right major? Students can learn about career options related to their studies by checking out “What Can I Do with This Major.” These free resources can help your student choose or confirm careers that fit.
Pay it forward
If you are employed, please consider posting job openings with your organization in Handshake. It’s free and allows you to find excellent talent for your full-time, part-time and internship positions. Think of it as “paying it forward.” While another LSU student may fill your position, perhaps other families will post a position of interest to your student.
As we glide into summer, here are a few career questions to ask your student…
- Got a Job? With exams behind them, your student can finally relax and focus on enjoying some fun in the sun! Summer also offers career opportunities, so whether they have already secured a summer job or internship or are just starting to look, here are some tips to make summer productive as well as fun:
- Find job postings in Handshake.
- Get the most from our online resources to guide you through the process.
- Schedule Informational interviews and practice networking. Here is a great article on networking tips written by LSU Experience.
2. Need help getting there? Your student may benefit from networking with your friends and acquaintances in industries of interest. Why not introduce them? After all, gainful employment at graduation is a pretty sweet goal! In addition, the LSU Olinde Career Center resources and services can help:
- Our Student Career Guide is a source for all things career including: résumés, how to find a job, how to make networking fun, a list of informational interview questions and more.
- It’s cool in here! We are open all summer. If your student is in the area, they can call to schedule a personal appointment. What better time is there than summer to develop a career strategy, find the right major or choose a career goal or polish job search skills?
- Out of town this summer? No problem! Contacts us for a phone appointment. Call 225-578-2162 to schedule.
Check out all of our resources and services at the LSU Olinde Career Center by visiting lsu.edu/career or 158 LSU Student Union.
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
We hope you and your students enjoy a safe, fun and productive summer!
With only exams remaining to put the finishing touches to the 2017-2018 year, students need to be encouraged to finish strong. Once that’s accomplished, it’s a great time for your student to take stock of their year. How did they do? Are they on the right track? Are they questioning their career choice or major? What’s next? How can they use the summer to explore their future or gain valuable experience? The LSU Olinde Career Center offers a wide range of resources and services, many of which are online and all are available throughout the summer.
Here are just a few suggestions:
- Career assessments help students discover careers that match their unique skills, interests and personality, and point toward college majors that prepare them for these fields.
- What Can I Do with This Major demonstrates a wide range of options in each academic field.
- Handshake is a one-stop treasure trove of job postings, employer contacts, company information, schedule of events and more. Every LSU student is provided a free account.
- The Student Career Guide contains information about “all things career” from career discovery to résumé writing guidance, job search tips and strategies for success. It also contains information for students considering or applying to graduate or professional school.
- Appointments are available throughout the summer and certain appointments can be conducted by phone for those who are leaving the Baton Rouge area. Students are encouraged to meet with a career counselor or career specialist to discuss where they are on the Four Year Career Plan and what next steps will lead to success.
- Networking with family members, neighbors and friends may be surprisingly helpful in linking your student to professionals to learn more about fields of interest. Networking leads to industry and career knowledge and confidence and may open the door to job opportunities, as well. Just ask!
Whatever stage in career development your student is currently in, we are here to help them with expert advising and counseling. Investing time this summer in career exploration and preparation will pay off in career confidence and future rewards. For more information about the LSU Olinde Career Center and our resources and services, please visit our website.
Has your student had a Career Checkup lately? The Four-Year Career Plan is a great way to take steps to success.
Access this resource:
Spring Has Sprung! Last call for exploring majors and careers!
Four steps to success…
- Class Schedules and Major Choice
March means class scheduling for summer and fall is just around the corner. But what if your student isn’t sure they are in the right major for them? The LSU Olinde Career Center is a great place to figure it out. Career Counselors and Career Assessments can be the first step to finding a major and career that fit. Click for more information about scheduling appointments or taking career assessments. We are also hosting Choosing Your Major Workshops for students who enjoy group presentations.
- Career Exploration
If your student is happy with and doing well in their major, that’s great! The next step is choosing a career that they can be passionate about. Students love the “What Can I Do with This Major?” resource for exploring their diverse options in any major. Again, career assessments may also be helpful in refining career goals.
- Summer Experience and Internships
Great! Your student has a major they love and a career goal. Now it’s time to try it out in a summer job or internship. Help your student develop a network of your friends and neighbors in his/her field of interest. And encourage your student to check out Handshake job and internship postings. Students are also encouraged to attend the Opportunity Knocks Career Fair on 3/20. See details.
- Job and Graduate School Search Strategies
If your student is preparing for graduation, congratulations to them, and to YOU! If they have secured a job or acceptance into graduate or professional school, then they are well on their way to success. If they are still looking for opportunities, our online resources and staff provide help with resume writing, interview skills development, job search strategies and grad school admissions. Please encourage them to check out the Student Career Guide and/or schedule an appointment for an assortment of career-related assistance.
Thanks for helping your student to success!
While February brings images of sweethearts, students are invited to explore their potential career match at the largest career fair of the spring semester, the Career Expo. It is just around the corner on Feb. 7! Why should your student attend?
Freshmen and sophomores use this event as a way to learn more about how they can use their degree for success in the job market, test the waters to see if their goals are in line with what employers are seeking in candidates and to begin building a professional network in their field of interest. Many interns are recruited through relationships established at this event!
Juniors are strongly encouraged to attend to find a first, second or even third internship to strengthen their professional skills and résumé.
Seniors have an opportunity to meet employers in their field, discuss full-time opportunities and set the stage for that professional interview.
To prepare students to put their best foot forward, we offer an assortment of resources and activities to polish up their job search and professional presentation skills:
- Handshake contains a list of employers attending the event. Use this resource to see who is coming and to research companies of interest! Students can also download the Handshake Jobs & Careers app on their smart phone through the App Store or Google Play.
- LSU Student Career Guide offers tips on how to work the Career Expo, a guide to résumé writing and MORE!
- Appointments and walk-in hours are always available. Encourage your student to stop by and get prepared to Geaux Get Hired at the Expo
- Learn more about the Career Expo. and other events!
Family members are also invited to recruit for their companies through the LSU Olinde Career Center. Contact us to learn more about how you can hire a Tiger!
Check out our resources and services at the LSU Olinde Career Center by visiting lsu.edu/careercenter or 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Year, 8 New Career Resolutions! ...
Welcome to 2018! With the new year upon us, we offer students a fresh approach by recommending eight Career Resolutions for spring 2018. Please encourage your son or daughter to consider the following resolutions:
1. I will start fresh by reviewing the Four-Year Career Plan in January to ensure I am taking all the right actions to succeed
3. I will take or review my Career Assessments offered by the LSU Olinde Career Center to crystalize my career options
4. I will network with professionals in my field of interest to confirm that the field is a good fit
5. I will start now to find a summer job or internship related to my field to gain professional experience
7. I will upload my resume into the Handshake system
8. I will “Suit Up” like a pro at the JCPenney special LSU student-only event!
Please encourage your student to take charge of their future by fulfilling their New Year’s Career Resolutions! We at the LSU Olinde Career Center wish much happiness and success in 2018. We are open during the Winter Break (except during university closure, December 25 through January 2) and available for student appointments and services. Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website lsu.edu/careercenter or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
The new year brings a busy season of on-campus recruiting events and career opportunities for students including the Career Expo on Feb. 7, on-campus interviews and more.
Does your student have professional attire “and all the trimmings” like shoes, shirts, belts, ties and other accessories to carry them into a bright new year? Perhaps gift giving for your student might include something very practical that also prepares them with a professional image to ensure confidence and success.
If your student is a senior graduating this year, or a sophomore or junior seeking a summer internship, this is a very good time to prepare and polish up their wardrobe.
- Suit Up with JCPenney, Jan. 28- The LSU Olinde Career Center is partnering with JCPenney for the second Suit Up event, scheduled for January 28 from 6:30 - 10 p.m. at Mall of Louisiana JCPenney. Last semester, the event attracted 700 LSU students who were able to purchase business attire at a 70% discount during hours open only to LSU students.
- Networking for the Holidays- For students of any level, the holidays are a wonderful time to network and learn about careers while mixing and mingling with family, neighbors and friends. Encourage your student to be career-minded in conversations to make the most of holiday gatherings.
- Holiday Hours- Our office will be open during regular hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. throughout the winter break except from December 22 through January 2, when the university is closed. Students who are in the area are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with our counselors and career coaches during this time.
November is Career Month in Louisiana! The LSU Olinde Career Center has 3 suggestions for you to assist your student:
- This month students will be registering for summer and fall classes. If your student is struggling in their major, or not sure where that degree will take them, then it’s time to consider options. The Career Center is here to help with career guidance and assessments accessible on our website or through one-on-one career counseling appointments.
- Did you know employers are now hiring for summer internships and the best opportunities will soon be gone? Have your student save the date for the upcoming Summer Jobs Fair, Tuesday, February 20, 2017. Resources for your student: Students can schedule appointments with our job search coaches for help with finding jobs and internships, resume writing and mock interviews. Or check out Handshake for job postings, and more.
Is graduate or professional school a possibility? Our staff and web resources can help your student through the self-evaluation and application process to make a great choice.
Check It Out, and Check It Off! Did you know that your student should be following the Four Year Career Plan? Here are some guidelines for your student to Check It Out and Check It Off for career success:
- Assess - If your student is undecided about a college major or is struggling in a major, now is the time to take action! Career Assessments are available free of charge or for a greatly reduced student rate of $10 each. Career counseling and coaching appointments are free!
- Gain Experience - October is a good time to explore and apply for internships. Yes, it may seem surprising, but many of the best summer internships are scooped up in October and November!
- Develop a Strategy - Students planning to graduate in December or May should be well along the job search path. Our career counselors and coaches offer job search strategy sessions, resume critiques and interview preparation appointments for those entering the job search and a graduate school workshop series for those planning to attend graduate or professional school. The Get into Grad School Workshop Series is open to students at all levels.