If you have not attempted any post high school courses, including vocational or technical school courses, but excluding military training and courses, you will be evaluated as a freshman based off of your high school scores and ACT or SAT. View Freshman Requirements.

If you have attempted courses after high school, you will most likely be evaluated as a transfer student. View Transfer Student Requirements.


Step 1: Follow Steps to Apply as a Freshman or Transfer Student

Upon determining your classification using the information at the top of this page, you will follow all steps to apply as a freshman or transfer student to be admitted to LSU.

Your application will be evaluated based on your academic history and likelihood of success at LSU. Your unique experiences and skills will be taken into account when reviewing your application. Our admissionA staff with military experience will make sure your service is properly valued.


Step 2: Submit Military Transcripts

Veterans and service members are eligible for one credit hour for every four months of active duty, with a maximum of 12 credit hours for four years of active duty.  Military transcripts are evaluated for each applicant, and additional credit may be awarded. This credit will be awarded on a case-by-case basis for lower-level courses. All upper-level courses are accepted, excluding duplicates.

Current and former service members can send military transcripts through the Joint Service Transcript System. Once logged in, select Transcripts, then Official Transcript Request. Search for “Louisiana State,” and select online delivery to Louisiana State University-Baton Rouge.

I’ve only taken a few college courses and my high school scores weren’t very good, can I still be considered for admission?

You are highly encouraged to submit an application for review. Depending on the amount of credit awarded for active duty and on your military transcript, you may meet the requirements for a transfer student.


I don’t remember my high school GPA, how do I get it?

You will need to contact your high school and request for someone to send an official transcript in a sealed envelope to the following address:

LSU Office of Enrollment Management
1146 Pleasant Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803


Will I pay in-state tuition?

ACT 581 calls for Louisiana public universities to consider the following students as residents for tuition purposes, although they are not Louisiana residents:

Veterans who served on active duty for a continuous period of not less than two years, received an Honorable Discharge, and enrolled at a public Louisiana university within one year of discharge
Current members of the National Guard or one of the reserve components (Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Navy Reserve, etc.)
Veterans with a service-connected disability as determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs


How do I apply for VA education benefits?

You will need to contact the LSU Office of Veterans Affairs in person, by telephone, or by email to request processing of your enrollment certifications. First-time applicants and prior applicants must complete Form 22-1990: Application for VA Education Benefits.  Applicants will also need to provide a copy of their DD-214 for Form 2384: Notice of Basic Eligibility. To speak with a VA Education Case Manager, call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551).

Any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service.