George Z. Voyiadjis
Bingham C. Stewart Distinguished Professor
Chairman - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
3255C Patrick F. Taylor Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: (225) 578-8668 / Fax: (225) 578-9176
- D.Eng.Sc. (Engineering Mechanics), May 1973, Columbia University, New York, New York. - Major: Inelastic Behavior of Solids and Structures Minor: Numerical Analysis and Computational Methods Dissertation: "Large Elasto-Plastic Deformations of Solids"
- M.Sc.(Civil Engineering), May 1970, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California
- B.Sc. (Civil Engineering), May 1969, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. Graduated with First Degree Honors
- (03/01 - Present) Chair and Bingham C. Stewart Distinguished Professor (Interim 03/01-02/02) Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Louisiana State University (LSU) Baton Rouge, LA
- (08/92 - 07/94) Acting Associate Dean of Graduate School LSU, Baton Rouge, LA
- (04/96 - Present) Boyd Professor (Highest Professorial Rank at LSU)
- (08/90 - 04/96) Professor
- (08/85 - 08/90) Associate Professor (Tenured, 1985)
- (06/80 - 08/85) Assistant Professor artment of Civil and Environmental Engineering, LSU, Baton Rouge, LA
- (01/87 - 08/87) Visiting Professor (on sabbatical leave from LSU) Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- (05/86 - 08/86) Research Associate (ASEE Summer Fellow on leave from LSU) Material Science and Technology Division Naval Research Laboratory Washington, D.C.
- (01/80 - 06/80) Associate Professor
- (09/75 - 01/80) Assistant Professor Department of Civil Engineering University of Petroleum and Minerals (UPM), currently re-named to King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- (03/75 - 08/75) Senior Stress Analyst Ebasco Services Inc., New York, N.Y. Engaged in research and development of stress analysis of nuclear power plants.
- (05/73 - 03/75) Senior Stress Analyst Nuclear Power Services, Inc., New York, NY Engaged in research and stress analysis of nuclear power plants. Also involved in development of original computer programs involving application of the Finite Element Method.
- (10/70 - 05/73) Research and Teaching Assistant Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics Columbia University, New York, N.Y. Engaged in research in the area of finite-strain, elasto-plastic deformation of solids; experimental investigation of the elasto-plastic behavior of aluminum alloys; and mechanics of blood flow.
- (10/69 - 06/70) Department of Civil Engineering California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA Engaged in Analysis of earthquake records.
Voyiadjis’ primary research interest is in plasticity and damage mechanics of metals, metal matrix composites, polymers and ceramics with emphasis on the theoretical modeling, numerical simulation of material behavior, and experimental correlation. Research activities of particular interest encompass macro-mechanical and micro- mechanical constitutive modeling, experimental procedures for quantification of crack densities, inelastic behavior, thermal effects, interfaces, damage, failure, fracture, impact, and numerical modeling.
LSU Civil & Environmental Engineer Chair and Boyd Professor George Z. Voyiadjis received the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa from Rektor Tomasz Lodygowski at Poznan University of Technology, Poznan, Poland.