The LSU College of Engineering offers engineering programs accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, or ABET. Accreditation is a review process that determines if an educational program meets a defined standard of quality. Accreditation requires periodical renewal, and as such, the LSU College of Engineering programs are periodically reviewed for renewal and to ensure the quality of its programs is maintained.
ABET accreditation is a form of quality assurance for engineering programs, and our programs’ accreditation means they are recognized globally as meeting the standards set by their technical professions.
ABET accreditation provides students with:
- Assurance that their chosen program has met standards essential to prepare graduates to enter critical STEM fields in the global workforce.
- Verification that the educational experience meets the global standard for technical education in their profession.
- Enhanced employment opportunities—multinational corporations require graduation from an accredited program.
- Entry to a technical profession through licensure, registration, and certification—all of which often require graduation from an ABET-accredited program as a minimum qualification.
- Eligibility for many federal student loans, grants, and/or scholarships.
- Global recognition, as ABET accreditation is recognized worldwide through international agreements, and many other countries’ national accrediting systems are based on the ABET model.
ABET requires that each program in the college make available to the public certain information, namely their program educational objectives, their student outcomes, their accreditation status, and data on their student enrollments and degrees granted. This information for the accredited programs within the LSU College of Engineering can be found at:
- Biological Engineering Accreditation
- Chemical Engineering Accreditation
- Civil Engineering Accreditation
- Computer Engineering Accreditation
- Computer Science Accreditation
- Electrical Engineering Accreditation
- Environmental Engineering Accreditation
- Industrial Engineering Accreditation
- Mechanical Engineering Accreditation
- Petroleum Engineering Accreditation