Petroleum Engineering Accreditation
The LSU Petroleum Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Consistent with LSU’s mission, petroleum engineering graduates will:
- Perform as engineering professionals in the upstream oil, gas, and related industries, including academia and government, and excel in leadership, research, operational, and technical roles.
- Adapt to future conditions and emerging technologies to solve critical problems for energy and sustainability.
- Participate in key decision-making by effectively communicating technical concepts, risks, and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and competency throughout their careers.
Program Student Outcomes
The petroleum engineering program produces graduates who are prepared to enter the professional practice of petroleum engineering with:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed using appropriate learning strategies.
Undergraduate Enrollment and Degrees Awarded
|Academic Year||Enrollment*||Awarded Degrees|
*Enrollment counts include students who have declared this program as their major and are enrolled in the University Center for Freshman Year (UCFY), University Center for Advising and Counseling (UCAC), or College of Engineering.
**Number is preliminary.