Credit Analyst Education Program
The challenges facing the banking industry are numerous and the need for trained personnel has never been greater, particularly the need for credit analysts who understand the banking industry and who can underwrite complex commercial credits.
The Department of Finance in LSU’s E. J. Ourso College of Business in partnership with the Louisiana Bankers Association is responding to the needs of industry with the LBA/Ourso Credit Analyst Education Program. This program provides education and training for new hires or experienced bankers who are transitioning into commercial lending and for banks that are shifting focus from commercial real estate lending to commercial and industrial lending.
The program was designed by LSU faculty and a committee of experienced commercial bankers from the Louisiana Bankers Association using curriculum provided by the American Bankers Association. Instruction focuses on financial statement analysis for presentation to a loan committee and commercial lending fundamentals including credit policy and problem loan resolution.
The world-class faculty of LSU’s E. J. Ourso College of Business will lead the instruction with participation from experienced commercial bankers to provide both the real-world application of the curriculum and the reasoning behind the processes. Instruction in communications skills, sales strategies, critical thinking, collaboration, and other soft skills required for industry success will be added to the ABA materials in response to input from the industry.
At the successful completion of the program, attendees will receive their LSU Certificate of Completion and will be eligible to test for the ABA Certificate in Business and Commercial Lending.
Our Design Sets Us Apart
There are several programs available for credit analyst training based on a model of exposing participants to significant amounts of information over three days in a classroom. We believe there is a better way.
Our program educates credit analysts on fundamentals and provides perspective as to why the institution needs the analysis for decision-making purposes and how the analysis will be used rather than simply training them to perform tasks.
- Attendees will be in the classroom for two days per month for six months, with instruction focusing on the key topics critical to the underwriting and lending processes while networking with peers and participating in group projects.
- Rather than rushing to the next topic, attendees will be given time at their home institution to read more about the subject and work with senior bank personnel as mentors who will apply the material to real-life examples of the bank’s policies and procedures.
- There will be out-of-class assignments and quizzes to ensure success at each step, with personal advising as needed.
2023-2024 Program Information
Part One: Analyzing Financial Statements
- September 14-15, 2023 at LSU
- October 26-27, 2023 at LBA
- November 16-17, 2023 at LBA
- Testing during the month of December 2023 at home institution.
Part Two: Commercial Lending
- January 11-12, 2024 at LSU
- February 22-23, 2024 at LBA
- March 14-15, 2024 at LBA
- Testing during the month of April 2024 at home institution.
Graduation event will be held in May 2024 (date TBD).
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2023
Cost: $5,350 per attendee
Make checks payable to the LSU Foundation and include Credit Analyst Education Program in memo. Mail checks to:
LSU Department of Finance
2900 Business Education Complex
501 S. Quad Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
CAEP courses will be held at the LSU E. J. Ourso College of Business and the Louisiana Bankers Association. See the schedule above for the designated location for each meeting date.
LSU E. J. Ourso College of Business
Business Education Complex
501 South Quad Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Louisiana Bankers Association
5555 Bankers Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Credit Analyst Education Program In Action