Meet the SHALA class of 2016
Fifteen professors, administrators and communication professionals have been selected for the ninth annual Scripps Howard Academic Leadership Academy to be held June 26-30 at Louisiana State University’s Manship School of Mass Communication.
The academy, co-sponsored by the Scripps Howard Foundation and the Manship School, brings together academics and professionals to learn administrative strategies and gain insight into academic leadership.
During their time in the academy, mid-career academics and professionals will meet with seasoned administrators to learn about management, discuss the future of media education and consider issues critical to those interested in or new to leadership roles.
Over 100 participants have graduated from the academy and hold various administrative
positions at institutions around the country including the University of Florida,
the University of Maryland, Elon University, The Pennsylvania State University, Hampton
University and Northwestern.
Members of the 2016 class represent a combination of institutions of higher education and the professional mass communication sector.
The members of the 2016 Scripps Howard Leadership Academy class are:
- Melissa Chessher – professor, chair of Magazine Department, director of Magazine, Newspaper, and Online Journalism Graduate Program; S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications; Syracuse University
- Keonte Coleman– assistant professor and interim chair of Journalism & Media Studies Department; Bennett College
- Carol Davis– assistant professor; Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications, Hampton University
- Aimee Edmondson –associate professor; Scripps College of Communication, Ohio University
- Bellarmine Ezumah-assistant professor; Murray State University
- Joshua Grimm– assistant professor; Manship School of Mass Communication; Louisiana State University
- Heidi Hennink-Kaminski – associate professor and senior associate dean of graduate studies; School of Media and Journalism, University of North Carolina -Chapel Hill
- Catherine Luther– professor; University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- Jennifer Meadows– chair and professor; Department of Communication Design; Cal State-Chico
- Rachel Davis Mersey– associate professor; Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University
- Greg Pitts– professor and director of School of Journalism; Middle Tennessee State University
- Srividya Ramasubramanian– associate professor and associate dean for climate and inclusion; College of Liberal Arts; Texas A&M
- Hilary Sisco-associate professor and chair of the Department of Strategic Communication; Quinnipiac University
- Edward Welch– associate professor; Department of Mass Communication; Grambling State University
- Lily Zeng– professor; College of Media and Communication; Arkansas State University