You are a leader and want to share your passion for the performing arts with others.
About Music Education
This major prepares you to teach music in elementary, middle, and high schools. The program offers a comprehensive curriculum that fulfills requirements for students to earn a K-12 Louisiana teaching license upon graduation.
Courses in music theory, music history, conducting, jazz, piano, and technology complement this developing musical artistry forming a foundation that melds with professional education course work in teaching and psychology. Through collaborations with urban and suburban schools in the Baton Rouge and surrounding area, students participate in varied experiences that provide perspective and a basis from which to make career choices.
- Band director
- Choir director
- Music teacher
Once you're an LSU student, you'll need to meet the requirements below to continue pursuing this major.
- 24 hours in 1000-level courses or higher
- 2.25 cumulative GPA (2.5 GPA for transfer)
- audition required prior to beginning first year
- completion of placement examination in Music Theory and Music History
B.M.E., Bachelor of Music Education
Course Load by Subject Area
- Performing Art: Medium Intensity
- History & Law: Medium Intensity
- Social Studies: Medium Intensity
- Lab Hours or Field Work: Low Intensity
- Technology: Low Intensity
Learn more about course loads and subject areas