The vision of the Louisiana Geological Survey is to:
- Make the Louisiana Geological Survey one of the premier geological surveys in the nation.
- Ensure that the Louisiana Geological Survey is able to provide relevant unbiased geological and environmental information to state agencies and other decision making bodies leading to Louisiana’s environmentally sound natural resource development and to economic prosperity for the state and its citizens.
The purpose of the Louisiana Geological Survey is to:
- Develop, interpret and provide information describing the characteristics and distribution of Louisiana’s energy, mineral, water, and environmental resources, with special efforts being applied to research into the habitat of hydrocarbons and their environmentally safe extraction for commercial purposes.
- Interpret and describe the processes and natural, geologic and environmental hazards that affect the land, rivers, and coast; provide this information, through publications, open file reports, presentations and educational programs, to those interested in or involved with the state’s resources, including decision makers, scientists, government officials, industry, especially to Louisiana’s independent oil and gas producers, thereby enabling more economically efficient oil and gas exploration and production, and the public.
- Take actions leading to the development of resources for the benefit of the economy of the state and to the protection of the state and its people from natural, geological and environmental hazards.
The goal of the Louisiana Geological Survey is to benefit the state of Louisiana by:
- Encouraging the economic development of the natural resources of the state.
- Protecting the state and its citizens from natural, geological and environmental hazards.
Insuring the effective transfer of geological and oil and gas information
Producing geologic maps, geologic bulletins, water resources bulletins and similar publications as are typical of most other state geologic surveys in the country.
Project an optimal image of the LGS to the world.
- The LGS aggressively portrays itself as a quality research organization that is benificial to the well being of the University and the State. We have consistently emphasized our good performance in research publications, presentations, seminars, Internet, and in answering the numerous questions and requests for information from the public.
- Develop new research methods, techniques, and opportunities by means of examining scientific publications and the Internet, and by attending scientific talks, gatherings and conventions; adapt them to LGS use as appropriate, affordable, and beneficial; obtain University funding for high-tech equipment/technology.
Develop new LGS programs.
- Work with the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, the United States Geological Survey, and regional and local groundwater and drainage agencies to develop an effective, recognized, broad-based, and funded water resources program. To determine what is required for the LGS to have such a program and to implement those changes.
- Work with the other earth science, energy, and engineering related departments and research units at LSU to put together multidisciplinary research projects and attempt to secure external funding for such projects.