Conference Tips for Graduate Students
Call for Papers
What organizers post to advertise their conferences & ask for the submission of abstracts:
- https://www.fabula.org/actualites-appels_postes.php (Mostly French)
- ~500 word (varies)
- A summary of your proposed presentation, sent to conference organizers.
Considerations for Deciding which Conferences to Attend
- Does the topic align with my research interests?
- Is the keynote speaker an expert in my field?
- Is this a well-known conference that will look impressive on my CV? (e.g. "century" conferences, MLA, ACLA, etc.)
- Do I know anyone else who is going? (Less important but it may result in the possibility of splitting accommodation and/or transportation costs)
- How much is the conference fee and what does it include? How much does it cost to become a member of the organization? Is it worth the cost?
LSU graduate school:
- PhD students are eligible for 3 awards (up to $450)
- Apply at least 1 month prior to the conference
- If approved, you will receive the money after the conference
- Keep all documentation so you can turn them in after the conference and make copies for your records(e.g. plane tickets, conference programs, food receipts, transportation receipts, etc.)
- See Graduate School awards at lsu.edu/graduateschool/funding/awards.php
LSU College of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Up to $400
- Reimbursed after the conference
- See HSS graduate school rules at lsu.edu/hss/programs/graduate/Graduate_Student_Travel.php
American Comparative Literature Association Travel Grant
- $200 to attend the annual conference
Modern Language Association Graduate Student Travel Grant
- $400 to attend the annual conference
- You can only receive this once during your graduate studies
Graduate Student Conferences
- Generally not funded by LSU
- Good to practice presenting, but not as prestigious as national and international conferences
- Good opportunity to network with other grad students & conference fees are generally lower
- My advice: stay local! Go to local grad student conferences in Louisiana:
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, University of New Orleans, Loyola, Tulane, etc.
- Conferences at LSU (English Mardi Gras Conference, Department of French Studies, Comparative Literature).
- The LSU Comparative Literature Graduate Association conference is held in the spring.
- Create a clear outline that will be easy to follow for someone unfamiliar with your topic
- Time yourself reading your paper out loud to be sure that you are respecting the time limits