The School of Music has a wide range of performance opportunities through our many ensembles and areas of study. From the traditional to the experimental, there are a multitude of ways for you to express yourself musically at LSU.
Each area follows a unique audition process outlined on this page. Please use the side navigation to jump to each section.
If you require any accessibility accomodations for audition materials, or have other questions about the audition process, the appropriate contact information is listed alongside each area.
Winds & Percussion
Wind and percussion students interested in participating in a concert ensemble at LSU will audition during specified time blocks at the start of each semester. Auditions are open to non-music majors.
The ensembles requiring auditions by wind and percussion players include:
- Wind Ensemble (MUS 4251)
- Symphonic Winds (MUS 4254)
- Symphonic Band* (MUS 4252)
- Symphony Orchestra (MUS 4261)
*Music majors auditioning for only the LSU Symphonic Band must prepare ALL audition excerpts for their audition. Non-music majors auditioning for this group may select a single excerpt from the given options.
Process for Winds & Percussion
Fall 2021 auditions will be held from Sunday, August 22 through Tuesday, August 24 in the Old Band Hall, accessible from the basement of the Music & Dramatic Arts Building. Please arrive at the beginning of the time listed for your instrument area and check in with the proctor at the door, who will have you sign up for a specific timeslot. You are then free to warm-up and practice in the nearby practice rooms until your audition time arrives.
Please fill out the following form before you arrive to the auditions to inform us of any potential class conflicts.
Results are expected to be announced at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 24.
Wind & Percussion Audition Excerpts
If you require accessibility-related accommodations for audition music, or have other audition questions, please contact the Department of Bands by calling (225) 578-2384 or emailing email@example.com.
Strings students interested in participating in orchestral activities at LSU will audition virtually according to the procedure outlined below. Auditions are open to non-music majors.
The ensembles requiring auditions by strings players include:
- Symphony Orchestra (MUS 4261)
Process for Strings
Auditioning students must video record themselves performing all of the excerpts, in one take, with no breaks. Videos are due no later than Friday, August 20, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Ensemble placements will be posted on the following Tuesday, August 24, and rehearsals will begin on Thursday, August 26.
- Video must include the face of the auditioning student.
- Please title videos using the following format: instrument_lastname_firstname
- In your video, please do not say your name or identify yourself in any audible way.
- Videos are submitted using the form link below.
- Be aware that your video might take longer than expected to upload. Please plan accordingly.
- To maintain anonymity, audio from submitted videos will be separated from the video and assigned an audition number. Video including the face will be withheld from judging panel until scoring is completed.
String Audition Excerpts
If you require accessibility-related accommodations for audition music, or have other audition questions, please contact Gabriela Gómez Estévez.
Choral hearings are held in the week before classes each semester for interested students. All students receive a single semester hour credit for participation in each LSU choir. Each chorus presents 1 to 4 performances each semester, depending on the exact layout of the academic calendar. No formal experience or special music training is required to participate in a choral ensemble at LSU.
The ensembles available in the choral area include:
- A Cappella Choir (SATB) (MUS 4236)
- Chorale (SSAA) (MUS 4233)
- Tiger Glee Club (TTBB) (MUS 4232)
- Gospel Choir (SATB) (MUS 4230)
Process for Choirs
Fall 2021 choral hearings will be held on Friday, August 20, and Saturday, August 21, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., in the School of Music Recital Hall. As part of their hearing, music majors should prepare a short aria or art song. Non-music majors may sing either song of their choosing, “My Country, ’Tis of Thee,” or “Amazing Grace.” Sight-singing may also be required. An accompanist will be provided for all components of the hearing.
Please use the form linked below to register for LSU Choirs participation. Questions about choral hearings should be directed to Trey Davis.
Students interested in participating in a jazz performing group may choose from several ensembles, including:
- LSU Jazz Ensemble (MUS 4253, Section 1)
- LSU Jazz Lab Band (MUS 4253, Section 2)
- LSU Jazz Chamber Groups (MUS 4255)
For Fall 2021, jazz auditions will be held:
- Thursday, August 26 for saxophone, trumpet, and trombone
- Friday August 27 for piano, guitar, bass, and drums.
Signup sheets and additional audition information will be posted outside Doug Stone's office, SOM 113, by August 20.
Requirements for Winds, Guitar, Piano, and Bass
- Play the melody and 2 choruses of improvisation on 3 jazz tunes of varying styles: medium swing, straight-eighth, blues, “Rhythm” changes.
- Pianists and guitarists must "comp" chords for at least one chorus on each of their 3 tunes.
- Bassists must play bass lines for at least two choruses of each of their 3 tunes.
- You may bring your own backing-track accompaniment, however, live piano accompaniment will be available in each audition, provided by LSU jazz faculty.
Requirements for Jazz Drum Set
- Demonstrate swing feel at several tempos.
- Demonstrate Afro-Cuban feel.
- Demonstrate Bossa Nova feel.
- Demonstrate brushes playing.
- Demonstrate funk feel.
- Perform a transcription of a jazz drum set solo.