CAS Resources for Faculty
CAS Services Matrix
Use this matrix graphic to explain CAS services to students.
New! CAS Study Cycle
Use this video and PDF to help students strengthen their study habits in your class.
CAS Presentation Slides
Use this presentation in class to inform students on CAS services and resources.
Sample Syllabus Statement
The Center for Academic Success offers free resources to help students increase their academic performance. Content specific-support includes tutoring, Supplemental Instruction (twice weekly, peer-led study sessions), and Shell Study Groups (informal study sessions facilitated by trained peer tutors). For help developing learning strategies, managing time, and increasing test performance, one-on-one Academic Coaching and strategy workshops help students plan their path toward academic success in all of their classes. Visit the CAS website at lsu.edu/cas for more information.
Five ways to increase academic performance:
In an effort to improve student learning and persistence at LSU, the CAS supports faculty with practical strategies and effective resources incorporating these five principles.
- Integrate learning strategies into instruction.
- Create a student-centered learning environment by implementing active learning techniques.
- Endorse the use of academic support resources.
- Utilize technology to increase communication and engagement with students.
- Provide early feedback and interventions to students with poor course performance.
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly study sessions offered for students enrolled in historically difficult courses.
SI Sessions are:
- Free, voluntary and open to all students
- A great opportunity to improve understanding of material and course grades
- An excellent way to meet other people in your class
- Guided by an SI leader who has taken the course and is prepared to share with you what they have learned about how to study
The leader attends the class and works in close association with the instructor so that sessions are relevant to the material covered.
Find out more about SI by visiting our Supplemental Instruction page. If you're interested in learning more about SI for your course, email CAS Academic Support Associate Director Matt Mattox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give Your Students Access to Free Online Tutoring
Students can access online tutoring for free through MyLSU. Make it even easier by allowing access through your course on Moodle. Just add the online tutoring option as you would any other course activity.
Find out more about our Tutoring services by visiting our Tutoring Resources page.