Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly study sessions offered for students enrolled in historically difficult courses. Students who attend three or more SI sessions typically earn a 0.5 letter grade higher than students who do not attend.
SI sessions are:
- Free, voluntary and open to all students
- An opportunity to improve understanding of material and course grades
- An excellent way to meet other people in your class
- Guided by an SI Leader who has taken the course and is prepared to share what they learned and how to study. The leader attends the class and works in close association with the instructor so that sessions are relevant to the material covered
- Available in numerous subjects. View details related to your course.
Interested in becoming an SI leader?
Supplemental Instruction leaders are responsible for organizing additional study sessions to aid students in learning course material.
Supplemental Instruction Office Hours
Supplemental Instruction Office hours are held in Allen 39. For questions about SI Office Hours, please call the Shell Tutorial Center at 225-578-6757 or refer to your course syllabus or course Moodle page.
SI Office Hours are a chance for students to get additional assistance from the SI leader and receive further clarifications on topics, go over concepts which they are struggling with, or ask more specific questions which they may not have been addressed during the session. This provides students an opportunity to get more detail on a topic, ask about test preparation or study skills, and get individualized attention from their leader.
Fall 2019 Supplemental Instruction Schedule
SI is supported by the College of Science, The College of Business, and the College Humanities & Social Sciences.
See the LSU Campus Map for building location information.