Informational Interviewing is the process of interviewing to gain valuable information about someone’s career, industry, company/organization and/or geographic location. Contacts made through the Tiger Network as well as other networking contacts made will allow you to partake in informational interviewing opportunities.
Questions to ask in an informational interview:
- What do you feel are the necessary qualifications to be successful in this job?
- Which majors do you usually hire and why?
- Describe the training period/program.
- Describe a typical day on the job.
- What do you consider to be the pros and cons of this job?
- How often do you have performance evaluations and on what criteria are employees evaluated?
- What are the different career paths from this position?
- How much input does the employee have regarding relocation?
- Do you have any LSU alumni working for the company?
- What is the average length of time in which employees spend in this department?
- In your opinion what are the most profitable products/services?
- What firms do you consider to be the company's major competitors and why?
- What are the company's plans for the future?
- How will the company's plans affect this division?
- How would you compare the cost of living there vs. this area?
- How is the economy fairing in that area?
- What is the company policy regarding continuing education?
- Does the company encourage participation in professional organizations?
- What are the backgrounds of those in upper management?
- What is your background (major, school, work experience)?
- How long have you been with the company?