Property claims arise when damage occurs to content property or structural property that is owned by Louisiana State University (LSU).

Property Reporting Form

The deductible for Property claims is $1,000 per incident. Keep in mind that contents depreciated value will be factored into the total amount of the claim.  In the event of a natural disaster or major loss, please contact Risk Management immediately to report damage.

To ensure coverage for your loss it is the responsibility of the department that sustains the loss to ensure that:

  • Prompt notice of the loss or damage is provided by completing the form below. Include a description of the property involved.
  • Risk Management has reasonable time and opportunity to examine the property or equipment before repairs are undertaken or physical evidence of the loss is removed. But you must take whatever measures are necessary to protect the property and premises from further damage.
  • All repaired or replaced property or equipment is preserved for our inspection, unless we otherwise authorize. 
  • No statements are made that will assume any obligation or admit any liability, for any loss or damage for which we may be liable, without Risk Management consent.

All damaged property must be protected against further damage and must be made available for inspection.  Please do not discard property without contacting Risk Management for authorization.

Departments must use the LSU master disaster response, mitigation, and restoration services contract (Northstar Restoration Services) for all losses or Risk Management must approve any alternative vendors before incurring expenses. Failure to utilize the master contractor or request approval may result in loss of coverage for such services.

When a property loss occurs, the department is required to provide an itemized list of property that was damaged, destroyed, or stolen.  Estimates for repairs must be submitted prior to authorizing repairs of damaged items.  If a police report was filed, please provide the case number so a report can be obtained.  If a police report was not filed, please provide a detailed statement as to what happened.  Include any witness statements.  If possible, please take photographs of damaged items and submit with your claim information.

The department must provide the following:

Items under $1,000

  • Type of goods or equipment damaged, stolen, etc.
  • Number of each type of item damaged, stolen, etc.
  • Date purchased or approximate age
  • Approximate acquisition cost
  • Cause of damage
  • Location of damage, building and room number
  • Photographs of damage, if available
  • Police report case number, if applicable

Items over $1,000

  • All Items in the list above
  • State property tag number
  • Equipment inventory sheet
  • Model number
  • Serial number

Settlement is based on repair/replacement cost, less $1,000 deductible and depreciation. State law requires that the claimant provide documented evidence that the damaged/stolen property has been repaired or replaced. Therefore, the settlement amount will be set aside until proof of repair or replacement is received.  In order to complete the claims process, please submit a copy of the repair invoice, purchase order, etc. with a copy of the ledger sheet showing proof of payment and an account number you would like to be credited for this loss.

The University assumes no liability for loss or theft of personal property of students, employees and visitors to the campus.

If more assistance is needed please email Shana Salsberry.