International Travel Insurance and Assistance Services

COVID-19 Announcements

LSU Monitoring COVID-19
LSU is monitoring developments related to the Novel Coronavirus, now known as COVID-19. Please visit the LSU Coronavirus Updates & Information webpage for the most up to date information.

All International Travel is Prohibited

COVID-19 Travel Assistance and Insurance Information
The University and International SOS are ready to support any international traveler still traveling that may contract COVID-19. International SOS will coordinate care, which may include medical evacuation, if necessary, and approved by governmental authorities. If you experience COVID-19 symptoms, contact International SOS immediately for assistance and country-specific information.

If an LSU traveler does not have symptoms of COVID-19 and wishes to return home or cancel their travel, they should contact their ticketed commercial carrier (travelers who booked through Short’s travel should contact Short’s at or 888-846-6810) and other providers directly. The cost of canceling or interrupting travel related to COVID-19 is not reimbursable through the University’s international travel insurance program unless you are symptomatic.


In the Event of a International Medical or Security Emergency: Call International SOS Immediately at 215-942-8478, Membership Number: 11BCAS658364

LSU has contracted with ACE and International SOS, Inc. to provide international travel insurance and travel assistance services for University faculty, staff and students traveling abroad on University business or sponsored activities.

International travel insurance coverage is provided to all faculty, staff and students participating in University approved travel (excluding travel to the United States and Home Country) and have registered their travel in "MyTrips". To be considered University approved travel for coverage the following conditions must be met for each type of traveler: 

  • All Travelers - Must register their trip in "MyTrips" prior to departure. 
  • Employees - Must complete a Spend Authorization in Workday
  • Students - Must be enrolled at the University during travel and participate in a University led or sponsored trip (i.e. APA, Continuing Education, Volunteer LSU)
  • Guest - Host department must complete a Request for Authorization to Travel for Non-Worker (AS-516)

Faculty, Staff and Guest insurance is provided at no cost to the department. Student insurance will be charged to the cost center entered in my trips. Risk Management will contact departments with registered student travel at the end of each fiscal year to make arrangements for payment.

Faculty, Staff and Students traveling abroad should download the International SOS App or print the LSU-specific insurance card below. While this card does not have the traveler’s name on it, it will serve as the insurance card and is designed to provide the traveler’s coverage. Employees or Student group leaders may also request plastic cards to be delivered via campus mail. If specific proof of coverage is required for a visa application, please request a custom certificate of insurance

All travelers should review the security and medical assistance services available via International SOS along with information on travel destinations via the International SOS Portal.

In addition to utilizing International SOS travelers are encouraged to register with the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Once registered you will automatically receive the most current information the State Department compiles about the country where you will be traveling.

High Risk Travel

LSU monitors US State Department travel advisories. To mitigate the risk associated with travel to high risk regions, the university requires that all travel to countries and/or regions for which the U.S. Department of State has issued a travel advisory to be reviewed and approved by the International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC). Detailed information on the university’s policy on travel to high risk areas can be found in FASOP AS-18.

Any travel intentions to regions or countries with U.S. Department of State advisory level of 3 or 4 must include separate approval request to ITOC.

The request forms are:

  • AS295 - Request for Travel to Restricted Regions for Individual Travelers (students or faculty)

  • AS296 – Request for Travel to Restricted Regions for Student Study Trips

  • AS297 – Faculty and Staff Emergency Contact Form

If more assistance is needed please email Jacob Carpenter.