David Olver Memorial Scholarship
The Center for Energy Studies (CES) at Louisiana State University is proud to announce
a scholarship opportunity for LSU students interested in future careers in the electric
power industry. Since the fall of 2015, CES has directed the annual award of the David Olver Memorial Scholarship, a scholarship that is financially supported by the Gulf Coast Power Association
emPOWERing Foundation. The annual award amount is $2,500.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to at least one student who will be enrolled full time as a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in the upcoming fall semester, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Graduating seniors are not eligible. While the award will preference either electrical or mechanical engineering majors, students from a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply, provided they are able to show past and/or current dedication to a power-industry related career and/or past power industry-related research and/or coursework.
Application & Essay Requirements
Full and complete applications, including intent essay, must be submitted by March 29, 2019. Each applicant is required to submit an essay of no more than one single-spaced
page of type expressing his or her educational and career goals as they relate to
the electric power industry.
The award will be announced at the end of the Spring 2019 semester for the 2019-2020 school year.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Must be U.S. citizen or a foreign national with permanent residency.
- GPA/academic achievement.
- Essay: Quality of content and writing and interest in a power-industry-related career.
- Extracurricular activities related to or demonstrating past and ongoing interest in a power-related career.
- Recipient will agree to provide name, résumé, and contact information and agree that the essay submission will be made available to the public.
- Recipient will attempt to attend at least one Center for Energy Studies/GCPA event or another Center gathering, such as a conference or lunch meeting.