EQUINE Internal medicine
The LSU Equine Medicine and Surgery Services are led by board-certified veterinary specialists. We also have technicians, caretakers, office personnel and veterinary students who provide comprehensive, advanced medical and surgical care for individual ill and injured animals in the hospital setting, as well as herd health and individual care for animals on the farm. This care is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including nights, weekend and holidays.
The hospital is staffed by additional specialists in anesthesiology, cardiology, ophthalmology, radiology, dermatology, oncology and clinical pathology. These specialists are always available for consults to our field service clinicians. Our team constantly strives to provide leading-edge and compassionate care for horses while providing you with excellent and timely service.
- Primary Care Services
- Import/Export preparatory services
- Insurance examinations
- Preventive herd health management
- Body scoring
- Coggins Testing
- Health Certificates
- Piroplasmosis testing
Internal Medicine and Specialty Services
- Critical care
- Emergency services
- Internal parasites
- Weight loss
- Genetic testing
- Genitourinary dysfunction
- Imaging services - radiography, CT, MRI, bone scan
- Infectious diseases
- Integrative Medical Services
- Cold therapy
- Therapeutic Massage
- Therapeutic ultrasound
- TENS Unit
- Intensive care
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction
- Oncology (cancer treatment)
- Pain management
- Performance evaluation and sports medicine
- Pharmacology (drug testing)
- Respiratory system function
Intensive Care Unit
- The Large Animal Intensive Care team, consisting of trained veterinarians and veterinary technicians, is dedicated to providing the best possible care to ill and/or injured large animals.
- These individuals are trained in utilizing techniques that are designed to improve each patient's quality of life.
We offer ambulatory services for all of services listed under Primary Care and Internal Medicine and Specialty Services. Our board-certified veterinarian will come to your property to provide care.
What to Expect
- Our Large Animal Hospital has room for trailers to pull up adjacent to our barn and outpatient paddocks.
- We will come out to get your horse and lead it into the barn.
- Once the examination is complete, we will discuss the diagnosis and treatment options with you.
Faculty and Staff
Interns and Residents
Alasdair Botting, DVM, Resident
McKenna Caspers, DVM, Equine Medicine & Surgery Intern
Sydney Mordoh, DVM, Equine Medicine & Surgery Intern
Jose Santana, DVM, Resident
Michael St. Blanc, DVM, Resident