Tiger Twelve Senior Recognition
Tiger Twelve Applications Are Open
The call for applications for the Tiger Twelve Class of 2021 is now open. The application is available on TigerLink with a deadline of Thursday, March 25 at 11:59 p.m.
If you would rather nominate a student so that Campus Life contacts them, you can nominate a student here before Friday, March 19 at 5 p.m. Students do not need to be nominated in order to apply.
In 1995, students, staff, and faculty came together to craft a statement of position regarding our basic principles as an academic community. The LSU Commitment to Community states our expectations for each LSU community member.
To promote these principles, each spring, LSU recognizes 12 outstanding seniors who contribute positively to the life of the campus, surrounding community, and/or society. These 12 individuals are then recognized as the Tiger Twelve. In keeping with the LSU Commitment to Community, these students:
- Hold themselves to the highest standards of academic, personal, and social integrity
- Practice justice, equality, and compassion in human relations
- Respect the dignity of all persons and accept individual differences
To be eligible for the Tiger Twelve Class of 2021, a student must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Graduate in May, August, or December of 20211
- Have current full-time status at LSU (unless graduating in May 2021)
- Be in good academic and accountability standing 2
1 Includes students participating in student teaching, co-ops, and academically sponsored
2 Having an accountability record will not automatically disqualify a student from becoming a Tiger Twelve.
In order to become a Tiger Twelve recipient, students must demonstrate dedication to the principles of the LSU Community in at least two of the following commitment areas:
- Commitment to intellectual achievement involves going above and beyond in pursuit of academic success. Examples include but are not limited to earning strong academic marks, engaging in research, helping others achieve academically, or showing a strong involvement in academic activities.
- Commitment to inclusive excellence captures those individuals who have helped moved the proverbial needle in regards to promoting inclusion and equity efforts on campus. In demonstrating strong advocacy and/or shaping culture through organization/coalition building, those deserving of this recognition have contributed to building a strong and inclusive campus environment.
- Commitment to leadership in campus life acknowledges students who have shown a high capacity for leadership. Moreover, these individuals have utilized this ability to become a change agent on campus. Whether leadership manifests in the form of student organization membership, engagement in residential life, or excellence in the field of athletics; leadership does not have to be solely positional, instead it’s impactful and transformational.
- Commitment to service captures the experience of those who gave of themselves in an impactful way either through traditional service (community, student worker, etc.) or through the helping to make some aspect of the lived experiences of others fundamentally better.
- Will be represented from various divisions, departments, and areas on campus.
- There will be different judges for the first and second round of evaluation.
- Judges will participate in a brief training to assure everyone understands the criteria against which students will be evaluated. This activity will also help to address bias in the evaluation process as best as possible.
- Blind review process.
- A rubric will be utilized.
- Candidate materials will be divided into groups of 20-25.
- 2-3 judges will be assigned to each group to evaluate materials.
- Students with the top 20 combined scores will move to the second (and final) round of evaluation
- A rubric will be utilized.
- The top 20 candidates will participate in a 20-minute interview on or around Saturday, April 10.
Applications closes Thursday, March 25 at 11:59 p.m.
Nominate a student here before Friday, March 19 at 5 p.m.