Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 1998 - Florida State University
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
210-D Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Currently, our research focuses on the synthesis and characterization of novel electronic and magnetic materials. Polycrystalline and single crystal samples are made from a variety of synthesis techniques, including: solid-state reactions, arc melting, chemical vapor transport, RF-induction melting, and metallic fluxes. A material's structure and phase purity are then determined by X-ray diffraction and microprobe analysis. Magnetic, electronic, and thermal properties are measured over a broad temperature range from above room temperature to below that of liquid helium. The types of materials we investigate fall under the broad category of strongly correlated electron systems, and include: Kondo insulators, low-carrier density magnets, intermetallic superconductors, and thermoelectrics.
Current and Select Publications
- S. Guo, D.P. Young, P.W. Adams, X.S. Wu, Julia Y. Chan, G.T. McCandless, and J.F.
DiTusa, “Dimensional crossover in the electrical and magnetic properties of the layered
LaSb2 superconductor under pressure: The role of phase fluctuations”, Phys. Rev. B 83, 174520 (2011).
- A. B. Karki, Y. M. Xiong, I. Vekhter, D. Browne, P. W. Adams, D. P. Young, K. R. Thomas,
Julia Y. Chan, H. Kim, and R. Prozorov, “Structure and physical properties of the
noncentrosymmetric super-conductor Mo3Al2C”, Phys. Rev. B 82, 064512 (2010).
- K. Yamaura, Y. Shirako, H. Kojitani, M. Arai, D. P. Young,| M. Akaogi, M. Nakashima,
T. Katsumata, Y. Inaguma, and E. Takayama-Muromachi, “Synthesis and Magnetic and Charge-Transport
Properties of the Correlated 4d Post-Perovskite CaRhO3”, Journal of the American Chemical Society 131, 2722-2726 (2009).
- K. Yamaura, M. Arai, A. Sato, A.B. Karki, D.P. Young, R. Movshovich, S. Okamoto, D.
Mandrus, and E. Takayama-Muromachi, “NaV2O4: a Quasi-1D Metallic Antiferromagnet with
Half-Metallic Chains”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 196601 (2007).
- S. Guo, D.P. Young, R.T. Macaluso, D.A. Browne, and J.F. DiTusa, “Discovery of Griffiths phase in itinerant magnetic semiconductor Fe1-xCoxS2”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 017209 (2008).
For a complete list of publications, click here.