Associate Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 2001 - University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Theoretical Condensed Matter
I study the theoretical physics of quantum many-particle systems in which interactions are qualitatively important and lead to novel behavior. Examples of the systems I am interested in include Bose-Einstein condensates and paired fermion superfluidity, that are phenomena from the realm of ultracold atoms, as well as condensed-matter systems such as graphene (a one-atom thick layer of carbon with interesting electronic properties), heavy-fermion materials, and high-temperature superconductors.
Current and Select Publications
- D.E. Sheehy, "Fulde-Ferrell-Larkin-Ovchinnikov state of two-dimensional imbalanced
Fermi gases", Phys. Rev. A 92, 053631, preprint.
- K. Sun, J.S. Meyer, D.E. Sheehy, S. Vishveshwara, "Oscillatory pairing of fermions
in spin-split traps", preprint.
- D.E. Sheehy, "Fermi Gases as a test bed for strongly interacting systems", Physics 3, 48 (2010), preprint.
- L. Radzihovsky and D.E. Sheehy, "Imbalanced Feshbach-Resonant Fermi Gases", Rep. Prog. Phys. 73, 076501 (2010), preprint.
- S.-Q. Su, D.E. Sheehy, J. Moreno, M. Jarrell, "Dynamical Cluster Quantum Monte Carlo
Study of the Single Particle Spectra of Strongly Interacting Fermion Gases", Phys. Rev. A 81, 051604 (2010), preprint.
- V. G. Rousseau, G. G. Batrouni, D. E. Sheehy, J. Moreno, and M. Jarrell, "Pure Mott
Phases in Confined Ultracold Atomic Systems", Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 167201 (2010), preprint.
- D.E. Sheehy and J. Schmalian, "Optical transparency of graphene as determined by the
fine-structure constant", Phys. Rev. B 80, 193411 (2009), preprint.
- D.E. Sheehy, "Polarized superfluids near their tricritical point", Phys. Rev. A 79, 033606 (2009), preprint.
- M. Veillette, E.G. Moon, A. Lamacraft, L. Radzihovsky, S. Sachdev, and D. E. Sheehy,
"Radio-frequency spectroscopy of a strongly imbalanced Feshbach-resonant Fermi gas",
Phys. Rev. A 78, 033614 (2008), preprint.
- D.E. Sheehy and J. Schmalian, "Quantum Critical Scaling in Graphene", Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 226803 (2007), preprint.