Jeffery Chancellor, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
Department of Physics & Astronomy
437 Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr. (office)
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Applications of how heavy ion radiation interacts with soft and condensed matter for ground-based analogs, manned spaceflight vehicle structure, shielding, and clinical healthcare. Utilization of high-performance, multi-core computers and sophisticated numerical techniques for studying complex dynamics that are otherwise difficult to mimic in a laboratory setting. Monte Carlo modeling of heavy charged nuclei and materials and the angular discrepancy in off-axis fragments produced by inelastic nuclear interactions in particle transport code
- Heavy ion interactions with soft and condensed matter
- Radiation transport modeling (PHITS,FLUKA)
- Spacecraft shielding development
- Simulation of radiation environments in space
- Nuclear fission products
- Space radiation dosimetry
- Blue RS, Chancellor JC, Suresh R, Carnell LS, Reyes DP, Nowadly CD, Antonsen EL. Challenges in Clinical Management of Radiation-Induced Illnesses During Exploration Spaceflight. Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2019 Nov 1;90(11):966-977.
- Blue RS, Chancellor JC, Antonsen EL, Bayuse TM, Daniels, VR, Wotring, VE, Limitations in Predicting Radiation-Induced Pharmaceutical Instability during Long-Duration Spaceflight. Nature Microgravity, Jun;5(1) (2019)
- Chancellor JC, Guetersloh SB,Cengel KA, Ford J, Katzgraber HG, Targeted nuclear spallation from moderator block design for a ground-based space radiation analog Nature Microgravity, submitted(arXiv:1706.02727v2) (2019)
- Blue RS, Chancellor JC, Suresh R, Carnell L, Reyes D, Nowadly C, Antonsen EL, Challenges in managing acute space radiation-induced illnesses in exploration spaceflight Aerospace Medicine & Human Performance, submitted (2019)
- Chancellor JC, Blue RS, Cengel KA, Aunon SM, Rubins KH, Katzgraber HG, Kennedy AR. Limitations in predicting the space radiation health risk for exploration astronauts. Nature Microgravity, Apr;1(4) (2018)
- Chancellor JC, Aunon SM, Charles J. Medical Implications of Space Radiation Exposure due to low altitude polar orbits. Aerospace Medicine & Human Performance, Jan 1; 89(1):3-8 (2018)
- Chancellor JC, Scott GB, Sutton JP, Space Radiation: The Number One Risk to Astronaut Health beyond Low Earth Orbit. Life 4, 491 (2014), ISSN 2075-1729.
- Reyes DP, McClure SS, Chancellor JC, Blue RS, Castleberry TL, Vanderploeg JM. Implanted medical devices in the radiation environment of commercial spaceflight. Aerospace Medicine & Human Performance, 85(11): 1106-13 (2014)
- Pinsky L, Chancellor JC, Status of the development of a new active personal dosimeter for use in space radiation environments. Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference Big Sky, MT, March 3–10. (2008)
- Pinsky L, Chancellor JC, Minthaka D Evolving the Medipix2 Technology For Use As An Active Space Radiation Dosimeter. IEEEAC. (2008)
- Pinsky L, Chancellor JC, Development of a New Active Personal Dosimeter for Use in Space Radiation Environments. IEEEAC. (2007)
- Book Chapters Chancellor JC, Watkins S. (2014) “Ionizing Radiation and Space Weather,” In Mayo Clinic: Medicine in Challenging Environments for Apple iOS (Version 7.1) Stepanek J, Johnson R, Cocco D eds. Retrieved from http://www.viacuro.com/MICE/
- Space Radiation Environment Emulator U.S. Provisional Patent (2017)
- Radiation Detecting Wearable Devices U.S. Patent 9,759,672 B2 (2017) Jointly owned with James Ziegler, Ph.D. and Wayne Newhauser, Ph.D.
Radiation Microdosimeters Correlated with Biological Cells and Cell Components U.S. Patent 8,858,888 B2 (2014)
- Jointly owned with James Ziegler, Ph.D. and Wayne Newhauser, Ph.D.