Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 1986 - Rutgers University
Condensed Matter Physics
Over the past few years we have focused our efforts on the study of correlations and non-equilibrium phenomena in two-dimensional elemental systems, such as high resistance Be films, and ultra-thin superconducting Be and Al films. One of the primary goals of our program is to investigate the transport and tunneling characteristics of these systems in high magnetic fields and low temperatures. Their behavior in such extreme environments gives insight into how low dimensionality, disorder, and correlations can give rise to exotic effects such state memory, reentrance, multifold magnetoresistance, non-equilibrium fluctuations, and quantum transitions. These issues continue to be at the forefront of condensed matter research and offer an important venue for the training undergraduates, graduate students, and K-12 science teachers.
Current and Select Publications
- T. J. Liu, J. C. Prestigiacomo, and P. W. Adams, “Electrostatic Tuning of the Proximity-Induced
Exchange Field in EuS/Al Bilayers”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 027207 (2013).
- T.J. Liu, J. C. Prestigiacomo, Y.M. Xiong, and P.W. Adams, “Exchange Field-Mediated
Magnetoresistance in the Correlated Insulator Phase of Be Films”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 147207 (2012).
- Y. L. Loh, N. Trivedi, Y. M. Xiong, P. W. Adams, and G. Catelani, "Mystery of Excess
Low Energy States in a Disordered Superconductor in a Zeeman Field", Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 067003 (2011).
- Y.M. Xiong, S. Stadler, P.W. Adams, and G. Catelani, "Spin-Resolved Tunneling Studies
of the Exchange Field in EuS/Al Bilayers", Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 247001 (2011).
- Y.M. Xiong, P.W. Adams, and G. Catelani, "Saturation of the Anomalous Hall Effect
in Critically Disordered Ultra-thin CNi3 Films", Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 076806 (2010).
- Y.M. Xiong, P.W. Adams, and G. Catelani, "Measurement of Conduction Electron Polarization
Via the Pairing Resonance", Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 067009 (2009).
- G. Catelani, Y.M. Xiong, X.S. Wu, and P.W. Adams, "The Pairing Resonance as a Normal-State
Spin Probe in Ultra-Thin Superconducting Al Films", Phys. Rev B 80, 054512 (2009). (Editor’s Suggestion)
- Y.M. Xiong, A.B. Karki, D.P. Young, and P. W. Adams, "Spin-Orbit Scattering and Quantum Metallicity in Ultra-Thin Be Films", Phys. Rev. B 79, 020510 (2009).(RC)