Applicants must be admitted by both the LSU Graduate School and the Division of Computer Science and Engineering. Admission to PhD or MS program will be considered on the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution or the equivalent from a foreign institution (and/or a master’s degree for PhD program). A comprehensive computer science background should include course work on data structures, algorithms, programming languages, and operating systems.
- A satisfactory grade point average (at least 3.0).
- GRE scores are optional.
- Acceptable TOEFL scores of at least 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) or acceptable IELTS scores of at least 6.5 or for foreign students only).
- Statement of purpose explaining the applicant’s career goals and interest areas is needed for PhD program.
- Letters of recommendation (at least two needed).
Due to the competitive nature of admissions, meeting the above requirements does not guarantee admission. Gifted students who have not satisfied all of the above requirements may be admitted on probation provided that the deficiencies are successfully made up by the end of the first semester. Such students may require additional time to satisfy the graduate degree requirements.
Current LSU Students
Any current LSU undergraduate or graduate student in another program who intends to enroll in the computer science graduate program must also meet the following requirements:
- Pass CSC 3102: Advanced Data Structures & Algorithm Analysis and at least two core courses (e.g., CSC 4101: Programming Languages, CSC 4103: Operating Systems, CSC 4890: Theory of Computation, etc.) with at least one A- or higher grade and two B- or higher grades.
- Possess strong programming skills in C or Java.
Priority deadlines for regular admission with full financial consideration:
Final deadlines for late admission:
|Fall Semester||May 15|
|Spring Semester||October 15|
Computer Science Graduate Program Requirements in the General Catalog
Applications and supporting materials for all graduate study (PhD in Computer Science and MS in Computer Science) must be submitted through the online application site for the LSU Graduate School.
If you have questions about the application process, send an email to us at email@example.com