Applicants must be admitted by both the LSU Graduate School and the Division of Computer Science and Engineering. Admission to PhD or MS program will be considered on the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution or the equivalent from a foreign institution (and/or a master’s degree for PhD program). A comprehensive computer science background should include course work on data structures, algorithms, programming languages, and operating systems.
- A satisfactory grade point average (at least 3.0).
- Acceptable GRE scores of at least 300 total (with at least 150 on the quantitative portion).
- Foreign students must furnish their TOEFL score of minimum of 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) or IELTS scores of 6.5 or above.
- Statement of purpose explaining the applicant’s career goals and interest areas is needed for PhD program.
- Letters of recommendation (at least two needed).
Due to the nature of competitive admissions, meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Gifted students who have not satisfied all of the above requirements may be admitted on probation provided that the deficiencies are successfully made up by the end of the first semester. Such students might require more than the usual amount of time necessary to satisfy the degree requirements.
A current LSU graduate student in other program who intends to enroll in the computer science graduate program (particularly, MS in Computer Science) must pass CSC 3102 and two of core courses such as CSC 4101 Programming Languages, CSC 4103 Operating Systems, CSC 4890 Theory of Computation by scoring at least one "A-" grade and two "B-" grades for successful admission. A strong programming skill in C or Java is also needed.
Priority deadlines for regular admission with full financial consideration:
Fall Semester: January 15
Spring Semester: October 1
Final deadlines for late admission:
Fall Semester: May 15
Spring Semester: October 15
Applications and supporting materials for all graduate study (PhD in Computer Science and MS in Computer Science) must be submitted through the online application site for the LSU Graduate School at www.lsu.edu/gradapply.
If you have questions about the application process, send an email to us at email@example.com.