Bursar is a Latin term meaning “official in charge of funds” or “keeper of the purse.” This division, Bursar Operations, is the primary service unit for managing students' financial records and needs. Bursar Operations also assists and serves the University's colleges and departments, faculty and staff, the general public, private and corporate businesses, and federal and state agencies in performing their financial responsibilities.
- Billing, collection and reconciliation of student and non-student Accounts Receivable
- Preparation and distribution of student registration fee bills
- Coordination of all aspects of student registration
- Distribution of sponsorships, scholarships, financial aid, student and emergency loan funds
- Collection of student organizational deposits and the distribution of those funds to the appropriate student organizations
Bursar Operations has the overall responsibility for maintaining and updating:
- Advanced Billing System (ABS)
- Treasury Information System (TIS)
- Perkins Student Loan Management System (SLM).
ABS houses exemptions and awards for students and validates each student's eligibility for those exemptions/awards. That information is then combined with the student's course selections made through the myLSU web portal course scheduling option to calculate the total fees due for a student. The calculated fee and award information for each student is then stored on the TIS system from which fee bills are generated. TIS houses the accounting information for each Accounts Receivable transaction (in excess of 50,000 accounts) and feeds that information nightly to Workday. The SLM System houses loan and account status data for all Perkins Loan borrowers. Bills are generated monthly from this system.