The application process for Summer 2020 will open on November 15, 2019 (Friday). All applications must be submitted by April 20, 2020 (Monday). Incomplete applications will not be considered therefore, please follow up with your application status. Once your application is complete you will receive a completed application confirmation email. Applicants will be notified of their status by May 1, 2020 (Friday). Those accepted must confirm their intention to participate by May 11, 2020 (Monday) by 12 noon.
This program is only open for 2020 high school graduates who have applied and received admission for enrollment at Louisiana State University Agricultural and Mechanical College for Summer 2020 or Fall 2020.
Students selected to participate in the Summer Scholars Program must:
- Be a member of historically underrepresented minority group:
- African American
- Asian American
- Native American / Alaskan Native
- Native Hawaiian / Other Pacific Islander
- Two or more races, when one or more are from the preceding racial and ethnic categories in this list
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Be admitted to LSU for the Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 semester terms as a first year freshmen
- Be available to attend the Summer Scholar program for the entire nine week summer session. June 2 – July 31, 2020
- Be available to attend ALL classes during the LSU Summer term. June 8 – July 31, 2020
- Plan to continue enrollment and graduate from Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College
- Demonstrate exceptional academic ability and achievement, having a 24 or higher composite score on the ACT (or SAT equivalent) and a 3.0 or above cumulative unweighted GPA
Summer Scholar Program participants will be awarded a summer only scholarship that will cover tuition, housing, and a meal plan. Students will also participate in cultural enrichment experiences and celebrate summer accomplishments at a closing ceremony.
Program participants may be required to cover some LSU fees and additional expenses such as parking, books, and other incidental charges.
The Summer Scholar Scholarship includes the following:
- Tuition for 2 three credit hour courses ($1,844.80)
- Required Tuition Fees ($309.20)
- Operational Fee ($36)
- Nonresident Fee for Out of State Students ($4,104)
- Housing in a Residential Hall from June 2nd – July 31st ($1,527.60)
- Summer Meal Plan from June 8th – July 31st
The following fees are the responsibility of the participant:
- LSU Summer Orientation Fee ($140)
**Freshmen Orientation is required for ALL incoming freshmen. Students who paid the Fall Freshmen Orientation Fee will NOT be additional charged the Summer Orientation Fee. Your payment will be credited to the Summer Orientation Fee. Students who attend SPIN has met the Freshmen Orientation requirement and will NOT be charged the Summer Orientation Fee. **
- Academic Excellence Fee ($123)
- Student Excellence Fee ($419)
- Building Use Fee ($24)
- Technology Fee ($30)
- Textbooks/Materials/Class Fee (Average $300 for 2 classes)
- Summer Campus Parking –only if parking vehicle on campus ($80)
- Meals prior to June 8th and above what SSP provides
Note: The LSU Board of Supervisors may modify above fees without advanced notice. To view the most updated tuition and fee schedule, please click on this link to view the LSU Budget and Planning Fee Schedules.
The application is now open. The application must be submitted online via the customized LSU Summer Scholars Program Application link. There, you can start, stop, and finish the application at any time using your login and password before the April 20, 2020 deadline. The application consists of the following:
- Personal General Information
- Two recommender evaluations; at least one must be high school representative
- Academic Information and Leadership experience, including an uploaded PDF copy of your official high school transcript, any dual-enrollment transcripts, and a résumé.
- A Personal Statement and Essay Portion Section
Please call 225-578-1892 if you need assistance with the application.
Dates and Deadlines
|Application Opens||November 15, 2019 (Friday)|
|Application Closes||April 20, 2020 (Monday)**|
|Notified of Status||May 1, 2020 (Friday)|
|Confirm Attendance||May 11, 2020 (Monday)|
|Summer Scholars Orientation/Move-In||June 2, 2020 (Tuesday)|
|LSU Summer Orientation||June 3, 2020 (Wednesday)|
|LSU Summer Classes Begin||June 8, 2020 (Monday)|
|Final Exam Period||July 29-30, 2020 (Wednesday/Thursday)|
|Closing Program/Move-out||July 31, 2020 (Friday)|