Associate Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 1997 - Rutgers University
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
293 Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
In my research, I have focussed on the experimentally relevant transport and magnetic
properties of correlated electron systems, including diluted magnetic semiconductors,
heavy fermion compounds and low-dimensional systems. These materials share in common
unexpected properties which can not been explained with conventional approaches.
Computer simulations are an increasingly efficient means to study correlated systems.
In my research I have used a variety of computational tools, such as the dynamical
mean-field theory and the dynamical cluster approximation in the study of diluted
magnetic semiconductors and the density matrix renormalization group method in the
area of low-dimensional materials.
In the near future, I plan to extend these investigations to nanoscale quantum dots
and heterostructures of magnetic semiconductors, where the confined geometry plays
a crucial role, to incorporate orbital degrees of freedom in the modeling of heavy-fermions
and cuprates, to calculate transport properties in nano systems and to simulate complex
materials quantitatively using parameters extracted from first principles calculations.
Current and Select Publications
- "Pure Mott phases in confined ultra-cold atomic systems," V.G. Rousseau, G.G. Batrouni,
D.E. Sheehy, J. Moreno, and M. Jarrell, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 167201 (2010).
- "Non-local effects on magnetism in the diluted magnetic semiconductor GaMnAs," Unjong
Yu, Abdol-Madjid Nili, Karlis Mikelsons, Brian Moritz, Juana Moreno, and Mark Jarrell,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 037201 (2010).
- "Dynamical Cluster Quantum Monte Carlo Study of the Single Particle Spectra of Strongly
Interacting Fermion Gases," Shi-Quan Su, Daniel E. Sheehy, Juana Moreno, and Mark
Jarrell, Phys. Rev. A 81, 051604(R) (2010).
- "Proximity of the Superconducting Dome and the Quantum Critical Point in the Two-Dimensional
Hubbard Model," S.-X. Yang, H. Fotso, S.-Q. Su, D. Galanakis, E. Khatami, J.-H. She,
J. Moreno, J. Zaanen, and M. Jarrell, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 047004 (2011).
- "Copper Core-Porous Manganese Oxide Shell Nanoparticles, Nachal D. Subramanian," Juana
Moreno, James J. Spivey and Challa S. S. R. Kumar, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115, 14500 (2011).
- "The response to dynamical modulation of the optical lattice for fermions in the Hubbard
model," Zhaoxin Xu, Simone Chiesa, Shuxiang Yang, Shi-Quan Su, Daniel E. Sheehy, Juana
Moreno, Richard T. Scalettar, and Mark Jarrell, Phys. Rev. A 84, 021607(R) (2011).
- "Dual Fermion Dynamical Cluster Approach for Strongly Correlated Systems," S.-X. Yang,
H. Fotso, H. Hafermann, K.-M. Tam, J. Moreno, T. Pruschke, and M. Jarrell, Phys. Rev. B 84, 155106 (2011).
- "Role of the van Hove Singularity in the Quantum Criticality of the Hubbard Model,"
K.-S. Chen, S. Pathak, S.-X. Yang, S.-Q. Su, D. Galanakis, K. Mikelsons, M. Jarrell
and J. Moreno, Phys. Rev. B 84, 245107 (2011).
- "Optical Properties of PbTe and PbSe," Chinedu E. Ekuma, David J. Singh, J. Moreno,
and M. Jarrell, Phys. Rev. B. 85, 085205 (2012).