Ball Family Professor Emeritus of Physics & Astronomy
Ph.D., 1962 - Indiana University
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
259-A Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Astronomy - Stellar Photometry
Our research effort has been concerned with the measurement of stellar brightness and colors, i.e., stellar photometry. Much of our time in the last thirty years has been spent in the improvement and definition of photometric standard stars. These standard stars are used as calibration yardsticks when studying celestial objects, or indeed any objects projected against the celestial sphere, whose characteristics are unknown. For the case of physical celestial objects, one eventually can relate brightness and color measures to a variety of physical characteristics. These quantities in turn help determine stellar distance, define a star's place in stellar evolution, etc. Research projects also are under way in the areas of star clusters, variable stars, novae, supernovae, and eclipsing binaries.
- George van Biesbroeck Award, American Astronomical Society, 1995
- University Award: LSU Distinguished Faculty Award, 1998
Current and Select Publications
- Arlo U. Landolt, "UBVRI Photometric Standard Stars Around the Sky at +50 Degrees Declination,"
Astron. J. 146, 95 (2013).
- Arlo U. Landolt, "Comments on the UBV Photometric System's Defining Standard Stars,"
JAAVSO 41, 244 (2013).
- James L. Clem and Arlo U. Landolt, "Faint UBVRI Standard Star Fields," Astron. J. 146, 88 (2013).
- Bradley E. Schaefer, Arlo U. Landolt and others, "The 2011 Eruption of the Recurrent
Nova T Pyxidis: The Discovery, the Pre-Eruption Rise, the Pre-Eruption Orbital Period,
and the Reason for the Long Delay," Astrophys. J. 773, 55 (2013).
- James L. Clem, and Arlo U. Landolt, "Two Short-Period Eclipsing Binary Stars in the
Field of PG 1047+003," PASP 124, 535 (2012).
- James L. Clem, Arlo U. Landolt, D. W. Hoard and Stefanie Wachter, "Deep, Wide-field
CCD Photometry for the Open Cluster NGC 3532,"Astron. J. 141, 115 (2011).
- Arlo U. Landolt and James L. Clem, "Monitoring R CrB at Minimum Light," PASP 122, 541 (2010).
- Arlo U. Landolt, "UBVRI Photometric Standard Stars Around the Celestial Equator: Updates
and Additions," Astron. J. 137, 4186 (2009).
- A.U. Landolt, "Standardization in the Classical UBVRI Photometric System," in The
Future of Photometric, Spectrophotometric and Polarimetric Standardization, edited
by C. Sterken, ASP Conference Series, vol. 364, pages 27-61 (2007).
- A.U. Landolt and A.K. Uomoto, "Optical Multicolor Photometry of Spectrophotometric
Standard Stars," Astron. J. 133, 768 (2007).
- A.U. Landolt, "UBVRI Photometric Standard Stars Around the Sky at -50 Degrees Declination," Astron. J. 133, 2502 (2007).