2021 - 2022 Department of Physics & Astronomy Annual Awards
Ken Schafer – The LSU Department of Physics & Astronomy Graduate Faculty award, nominated by students in the department.
Jeanne Garriz – 2022 Keen-Morris award, presented to an outstanding graduating senior for demonstrating excellence in all areas of academics, service, leadership and research.
Lila Ton – 2022 Keen-Morris award, presented to an outstanding graduating senior for demonstrating excellence in all areas of academics, service, leadership and research.
Hannah Cheng – LSU College of Science Outstanding Senior Award
Arshag Danageozian – Joseph Callaway Memorial Fellowship award, in memory of LSU Boyd Professor Joseph Callaway to assist graduate students who have shown excellence in research
Karunya Shirali – Joseph Callaway Memorial Fellowship award, in memory of LSU Boyd Professor Joseph Callaway to assist graduate students who have shown excellence in research
Farzaneh Zohrabi was recognized with a Callaway award for an outstanding research proposal.
Michael Gravois – Physics and Astronomy Undergraduate Excellence Award
Anthony Grant – Ball Undergraduate Award for continuing excellence and outstanding class performance.
Benjamin Thirlkel – Barbara and Barry Coon Annual Physics and Astronomy Scholarship, awarded to support physics students who look to pursue a career in industry.
Miscia Fortna – Byrd Ball Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award
Roy Pace – Physics and Astronomy Research Excellence Award
Elise McCullison – Department Service Award
Madison Pacheco – Department Service Award
Hannah Cheng – Department Outreach Award
Roussel Family Graduate Student award in Communication that recognizes exemplary research coupled with the ability to succinctly present the research findings. 2021-22 recipient: Rachel Shaffer – Rachel is a graduate research assistant with Assistant Prof. Scott Marley in the CENTAUR group. Rachel is interested in studying the structure and decay properties of light-mass, unstable atomic nuclei with transfer reaction experiments then testing modern theoretical approaches to the nuclear many-body problem. She has received the award for the best poster presentation at the annual CENTAUR meeting for two consecutive years.
The Ganesar Chanmugam Award is awarded for an outstanding PhD Dissertation. This year the award goes to three graduate students:
- Michelle Lis, for the dissertation entitled “A generalized, modular approach to treating moving tumors with ion”, with advisor Dr. Wayne Newhauser
- Grigor Sargsyan, for the dissertation entitled “Electromagnetic transitions and beta decays in nuclei from the AB initio symmetry-adapted no-core shell model,” with advisor Dr. Kristina Launey
- Vishal Katariya, for the dissertation entitled “Limits on parameter estimation of quantum channels,” with advisor Dr. Mark M. Wilde.
Hunter Meyer – Outstanding Physics and Astronomy Grader Award
Eklavya Thareja – Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
Aaron Trigg – Outstanding Outreach and Service Award
Chia-Lung Chien – Coates Research Scholar award, for his dedication and significant contributions to research and other activities. He is actively working on clinic-related research projects, with research advisor Dr. Rui Zhang, and receives clinical trainings at the same time.
Dimitrios Kranas – Coates Travel Research Award, for work with collaborators at the University of Valencia, that will provide the opportunity to extend current theoretical work to a larger family of analog black hole models, and establish a stronger connection with concrete experimental setups to validate theoretical proposals.
Eklavya Thareja – Coates Travel Award for conference travel
Anshumitra Baul – Coates Travel Award for conference travel
2021-22 recipient of the Coates Dissertation Award: Chapai Ramakanta advised by Professor Rongying Jin
Dissertation title “Quantum oscillations with angular dependence in PdTe2single crystals” Chapai is currently a postdoctoral researcher in the Materials Science division at Argonne National Laboratory.
LSU Discover hosted its annual Discover Day and we would like to recognize the undergraduate researchers who presented at the event.
- Madison LeBlanc “Model Fitting of Boyajian's Star” with research advisor Tabetha Boyajian
- Roy Pace “Optimizing Quantum Networks with Machine Learning” with research advisor Hwang Lee
- Marz Newman “The Relationship Between 13CO/C18O and Star Formation Rate Surface Density” with research advisor Matthew Penny
- Ashley Patron “Understanding the Effect of Earthquakes on the Lock State of LIGO Detectors” with research advisor Gabriela Gonzalez
- Hannah Cheng and Miscia Fortna “The Feasibility of Super Absorbent Polymer Beads as Phantom Material & Microdosimetric Measurements” with research advisor Wayne Newhauser
For the 2022 University Faculty Awards:
Dana Browne – Class of 1942 Alumni Professorship
Shane Stadler – LSU Alumni Association Faculty Excellence Award
Emmanouil Chatzopoulos – LSU College of Science Non-Tenured Faculty Research Award
Mimi LaValle – LSU College of Science Staff Excellence Award
LSU Physics & Astronomy