Physical Education Alternative Certifications
Students who have obtained a bachelor's degree can also seek Alternative Certifications in Health and Physical Education through the School of Kinesiology.
These certifications offer a teaching certificate without needing to go through a teaching preparation program. Certifications can be done for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
An Alternative Certification allows students to receive a teaching certificate without having an undergraduate degree in Education.
Students with a Bachelor's degree can take additional classes as electives or use them toward a graduate degree, like a Master of Science in Kinesiology degree.
They will then need to student teach or go through an internship program, and lastly, pass the Praxis Tests.
Students must complete:
- 21 Hours of Coursework
- 6-12 Hours of Internship Work
- 80 Contact Hours (completed during undergraduate coursework)
- Pass Praxis Tests
For student teaching positions,
- Candidate is placed by LSU
- Student must pass Praxis Tests
- Positions are unpaid
- Internships are undertaken post-graduation
- Praxis does not need to have been passed for three (3) years
- Candidate finds employment to be sued to complete internship credit
- Candidate is employed and paid by the district in which the intern
|KIN 4512 - Motor Development||KIN 7520 - Motor Development|
KIN 4520 - Psychosocial Aspects of Physical Activity
|KIN 4520 - Psychosocial Aspects of Physical Activity|
|KIN 2512 - Classroom Management||KIN 7515 - Achievement Motivation in PA|
|KIN 3609 - Health and Wellness Education||KIN 7602 - SEM in PA|
|EDCI 3136 - Reading in Content Areas||KIN 7514 - Pedagogy in PA|
|KIN 4511/4516 - Methods and Curriculum||KIN 7502 - Curriculum Construction in PE|
|KIN 4900 - Contact Hours and Lesson Planning|