Description of Workshops
Welcoming Diversity Workshop — Shows how participants have been taught to think and act as members of their racial, gender, and other identity groups and provides skills for bridging differences.
Available as a 4 hour or 8 hour workshop.
Controversial Issues Process Workshop (one day) — Demonstrates a method for assisting diverse groups to work together even in tough, emotionally-charged conflicts.
Available as a 4 hour workshop.
NCBI’s award-winning Controversial Issues Process trains leaders to deal constructively with tough conflicts, enabling them to move disputing parties toward future cooperation.
Participants learn the following set of skills:
- accurately defining a controversy,
- listening to and repeating back another side’s concerns,
- asking questions that elicit the heartfelt concerns underlying another side’s position,
- mapping out the concerns on each side of an issue, and
- reframing the issue in a way that produces action points that all sides can support.
The skills taught in the NCBI Controversial Issue Process can be used by anyone in any conflict situation from simple misunderstanding to heated debate. The Process is effective because it enables participants to understand the factors underlying even the most intractable conflicts and to move beyond them.