Welcoming Diversity Workshop (4 or 8 hour workshop)
NCBI’s award-winning Welcoming Diversity Workshop is an experiential program that has been presented thousands of times at universities and colleges. The workshop consists of a series of incremental activities that helps participants to:
- celebrate their similarities and differences;
- recognize the misinformation they have learned about various groups, including their own;
- learn about and reevaluate personal attitudes and behaviors that are based on the impact of prejudice and discrimination;
- claim pride in their group identities;
- understand the personal impact of discrimination through the telling of stories; and
- learn hands-on tools for dealing effectively with offensive remarks and behaviors
Controversial Issues Workshop (3 hour workshop)
NCBI’s award-winning Controversial Issues Process trains leaders to deal constructively with tough conflicts, enabling them to move disputing parties toward future cooperation. Participants learn the following set of skills:
- accurately defining a controversy;
- listening to and repeating back another side’s concerns;
- asking questions that elicit the heartfelt concerns underlying another side’s position;
- mapping out the concerns on each side of an issue; and
- reframing the issue in a way that produces action points that all sides can support.
The skills taught in the NCBI Controversial Issue Process can be used by anyone in any conflict situation from simple misunderstanding to heated debate. The process is effective because it enables participants to understand the factors underlying even the most intractable conflicts and to move beyond them.