COI: Externally Funded Travel Disclosures

Externally funded travel for active researchers can present a potential financial conflict of interest, and federal and university guidelines require their disclosure. In compliance with LSU Policy Statement 98, any investigator who, regardless of title or position, is responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of externally funded research must disclose any travel costs that were either reimbursed directly to you by a third party or paid for on your behalf by a third party (i.e., not through the LSU travel office).

Step-by-Step Guides to Externally Funded Travel Disclosures

Travel Disclosure Exceptions

Travel that has been reimbursed or sponsored by US federal, state or local governments, US institutions of higher education or any research centers affiliated with institutions of higher education is exempt from this disclosure. That said, this travel disclosure does not replace the disclosure of Outside Employment (PM-11).

As an example, you have been invited to serve on an NSF or NIH review panel and will receive reimbursement for your travel costs. You will not need to disclose this reimbursement under PS-98, but you will need to complete a PM-11 form for outside employment.