Mandatory Student Medical Health Insurance
All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan as long as it meets the minimum requirements listed.
The medical health insurance policy must provide coverage for the entire semester. Partial coverage is not accepted.
When proof of other acceptable medical health insurance is provided to the International Services by the deadline dates, the charges for the LSU policy will be removed. Students must use the “Insurance Coverage Evaluation Form” (completed in English and signed by insurance provider) which may be downloaded below. International Services will communicate with the private medical health insurance provider to confirm the coverage. If the form is received by the deadline date, and International Services determines all requirements are met, the charge for LSU’s insurance will be removed.
The University requires verification to make sure that international students on F and J visas comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance requirement!
You do have an option of substituting the LSU medical health insurance plan with a private medical health insurance policy, but please be aware that it must meet or exceed all LSU criteria for F visa status holders, and LSU and Department of State criteria for J visa status holders. The private medical health insurance company must complete an “Insurance Coverage Evaluation form” by the insurance deadline date at the beginning of each semester, and this evaluation form must be completed for each semester of enrollment regardless of the medical coverage end date stated on previously submitted and/or approved forms.
Medical Health Insurance Enrollment and Charges for 2016-2017
Medical Health Insurance Enrollment and Charges for 2017-2018
New Incoming Students for Summer 2017
Please be aware that Summer 2017 LSU student medical health insurance coverage through Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare will not begin until June 5, 2017. If you plan on arriving in the United States prior to June 5, 2017, you should purchase a private medical health insurance policy to cover you until June 4, 2017. If you choose not to purchase a private medical health insurance policy to cover you from your arrival date to June 4, 2017, you will NOT have medical health insurance coverage. This means you will be required to pay for all medical health expenses prior to June 5, 2017.
It is mandatory that all non-immigrant international students who hold F and J visa statuses have medical health insurance which is acceptable to the University.
- This includes part-time and full-time registration. Please note that the 2016-2017 insurance premiums have changed. Under LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan (SASIP), new incoming students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $408 for the Summer plan, which includes repatriation/medical evacuation. This charge provides students with medical health insurance coverage from June 5, 2017 through August 13, 2017.
- Currently enrolled students – If you enrolled in the LSU spring/summer 2017 plan and did not provide proof of private medical health insurance approved by our office, you will not be billed for Summer 2017 since your LSU spring/summer 2017 plan expires August 13, 2017. If your dependents were added by our office to your Spring 2017 fee bill, your dependents are also covered under this medical health insurance plan through August 13, 2017.
- PLEASE NOTE: Do not select or remove the LSU student medical health insurance plan through MyLSU or Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare online website if you hold F or J visa status since this will cause errors in your fee bill and insurance problems.
- Please pay careful attention to our broadcast emails sent each semester regarding insurance. It is your responsibility to check your fee bill and/or to inquire with International Services at the beginning of the semester regarding insurance charges/matters.
- The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare (LSU's
insurance company) directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are
NOT automatically charged for LSU's student medical health insurance plan:
- Non-immigrant international students with visa status other than F and J.
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (DO) for Summer 2017.
- Students on Optical Practical Training (OPT: F-1) or Academic Training who are not enrolled for credit hours.
- United HealthCare will mail out permanent student medical health insurance cards to
new incoming students this Summer 2017 semester using their Baton Rouge home address
listed on their MyLSU account (please keep address updated in your MyLSU account.)
A TEMPORARY student medical health insurance card may be downloaded by following these
1. Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/LSU-BatonRouge.
2. On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’.
3. Log in (if you haven’t already).
4. On the left toolbar, under ‘My Account’, click on ‘Authorize Account’.
5. Enter your Student ID number and your date of birth.
6. Click on ‘Authorize Account’.
7. You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’ under ‘Coverage History’.
- Again, all F and J visa holders who want LSU's Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan should not select the plan via PAWS or on line. THIS WILL CAUSE ERRORS ON YOUR FEE BILL and problems with your insurance. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill each and every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU. Any upgrades for NEW INCOMING students and additions for dependents must be done through International Services (Insurance Request Form).
- The deadline to submit insurance forms each semester is posted on our website, in the LSU fall, spring, and summer registration booklets, and sent out to all F and J visa holders by e-mail at the beginning of each and every semester.
- All questions concerning benefits, claims, or billing problems of the assessed insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. International students needing additional information may contact Janice Goodloe by phone: (225) 578-3191 or e-mail. You may also meet with Ms. Janice Goodloe during LSU student medical health insurance walk-in hours from 1pm to 3pm every Wednesday afternoon in International Services, 101 Hatcher Hall.
- If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are always required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency), or your claims will not be paid. To avoid problems or delays, regardless of your insurance policy, always carry your student medical health insurance card as you would your drivers’ license.
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- See more at: http://www.lsu.edu/intlpro/is/insurance.php#sthash.aCePOGbl.dpuf
Pane 2 Content
and so on ...
Pane 3 Content
Pane 4 Content