Mandatory Student Medical Health Insurance
All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan as long as it meets the minimum requirements listed.
The medical health insurance policy must provide coverage for the entire semester. Partial coverage is not accepted.
When proof of other approved medical health insurance is provided by the deadline dates, the charges for the LSU policy will be removed. For Fall 2017, F and J students may submit their on line insurance waiver request at UHC/Gallagher. You will find the link to the waiver request under “Student Waive” located at the upper left hand corner. The deadline date to submit the on line insurance waiver is Friday, September 8, 2017 (no exceptions.) As per the insurance online portal website your coverage must be effective from August 14, 2017 - January 8, 2018.
The University requires verification to make sure that international students on F and J visas comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance requirement!
Medical Health Insurance Enrollment and Charges for 2016-2017
Medical Health Insurance Enrollment and Charges for 2017-2018
It is mandatory that all non-immigrant international students who hold F and J visa statuses have medical health insurance which is acceptable to the University.
- This includes part-time and full-time registration. Please note that the 2017-2018 insurance premiums have changed. Under LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan (SASIP), new incoming students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $856 for the fall 2017 plan. This charge provides students with medical health insurance coverage from August 14, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
- PLEASE NOTE: Do not select or remove the LSU student medical health insurance plan through MyLSU or Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare online website if you hold F or J visa status since this will cause errors in your fee bill and insurance problems.
- The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare (LSU's
insurance company) directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are
NOT automatically charged for LSU's student medical health insurance plan:
- Non-immigrant international students with visa status other than F and J.
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (DO) for Fall 2017.
- Students on Optical Practical Training (OPT: F-1) or Academic Training who are not enrolled for credit hours.
- United HealthCare will mail out permanent student medical health insurance cards to
new incoming students this Summer 2017 semester using their Baton Rouge home address
listed on their MyLSU account (please keep address updated in your MyLSU account.)
A TEMPORARY student medical health insurance card may be downloaded by following these
1. Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/LSU-BatonRouge.
2. On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’.
3. Log in (if you haven’t already).
4. On the left toolbar, under ‘My Account’, click on ‘Authorize Account’.
5. Enter your Student ID number and your date of birth.
6. Click on ‘Authorize Account’.
7. You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’ under ‘Coverage History’.
- Again, all F and J visa holders who want LSU's Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan should not select the plan via PAWS or on line. THIS WILL CAUSE ERRORS ON YOUR FEE BILL and problems with your insurance. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill each and every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
- All questions concerning waviers, enrollment of dependents, benefits, claims, or billing problems of the assessed insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare.
- If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are always required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency), or your claims will not be paid. To avoid problems or delays, regardless of your insurance policy, always carry your student medical health insurance card as you would your drivers’ license.
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pane 2 Content
and so on ...
Pane 3 Content
Pane 4 Content