Mandatory Student Medical Health Insurance
All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically charged for and enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan as long as it meets the minimum requirements listed and an on-line wavier request is submitted by deadline.
The medical health insurance policy must provide coverage for the entire semester. Partial coverage is not accepted.
When proof of other approved medical health insurance is submitted by the deadline dates, the charges for the LSU policy will be credited. For Summer 2018, F and J students may submit their on line insurance waiver request at UHC/Gallagher. You will find the link to the waiver request under “Student Waive” located at the upper left hand corner. Please note that your coverage must be effective from June 4 – July 28, 2018 for the summer 2018 semester.The deadline date to submit the on line insurance waiver is Tuesday, June 12, 2018 (no exceptions).
PLEASE NOTE: You must submit an on-line waiver request at the UHC/Gallagher website date at the beginning of each and every semester of registration regardless of the coverage end date stated on previously submitted waiver requests. ALL F and J students should request an on-line insurance waiver (if desired), regardless if the LSU student medical health insurance charge appears on their fee bill at that time or not.
The University requires evidence to make sure that international students on F and J visas comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance requirement!
It is mandatory that all non-immigrant international students who hold F and J visa statuses have medical health insurance which is acceptable to the University.
- This includes part-time and full-time registration. Please note that the 2017-2018 insurance premiums have changed. Under LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan (SASIP), new incoming students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $415 for the Summer 2018 plan. This charge provides students with medical health insurance coverage from June 5, 2018 through August 13, 2018.
- PLEASE NOTE: Do not select or remove the LSU student medical health insurance plan through MyLSU or Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare online website if you hold F or J visa status since this will cause errors in your fee bill and insurance problems.
- If you and your J-2 dependent(s), if applicable, were enrolled in the Spring/Summer 2018 LSU Student Medical Health Insurance Plan (United Healthcare (UH/Gallagher), your policy is effective from January 6, 2018 through August 13, 2018.
- The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare (LSU's
insurance company) directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are
NOT automatically charged for LSU's student medical health insurance plan:
- Non-immigrant international students with visa status other than F and J.
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (DO) for Summer 2018.
- Students on Optical Practical Training (OPT: F-1) or Academic Training who are not enrolled for credit hours.
- United HealthCare will mail out permanent student medical health insurance cards to
new incoming students this Summer 2018 semester using their Baton Rouge home address
listed on their MyLSU account (please keep address updated in your MyLSU account.)
A TEMPORARY student medical health insurance card may be downloaded by following these
1. Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/LSU-BatonRouge.
2. On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’.
3. Log in (if you haven’t already).
4. On the left toolbar, under ‘My Account’, click on ‘Authorize Account’.
5. Enter your Student ID number and your date of birth.
6. Click on ‘Authorize Account’.
7. You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’ under ‘Coverage History’.
- Again, all F and J visa holders who want LSU's Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan should not select the plan via MyLSU or on line. THIS WILL CAUSE ERRORS ON YOUR FEE BILL and problems with your insurance. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill each and every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
- All questions concerning waviers, enrollment of dependents, benefits, claims, or billing problems of the assessed insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare.
- If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are always required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency), or your claims will not be paid. To avoid problems or delays, regardless of your insurance policy, always carry your student medical health insurance card as you would your drivers’ license.
Pane 2 Content
and so on ...
Pane 3 Content
Pane 4 Content