Mandatory Medical Health Insurance Requirements

All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan as long as it meets or exceeds the following:

  • Policy minimum of $50,000 per accident or sickness for F-1 and F-2 (issued I-20 forms) or $100,000 minimum aggregate. Policy minimum of $50,000 per accident or sickness for J-1 and J-2 visa (issued DS-2019 forms) holders (required by Department of State regulations)
  • Maximum deductible amount of $500 per accident per illness (for multiple party plans: $500 per person per accident per illness), not to exceed $1,000 per policy for multiple-party plans.
  • A U.S. representative physically located and operating in the U.S. with a U.S. telephone number/contact who acts on behalf of insurance company/insurance plans: (benefit verification and processing ability).
  •  Maternity visits must be paid as any other health condition, regardless of gender.
  • Policy must cover visits for colds, flu, etc., and not just/only emergency care.
  • For J-1 and J-2 visa (issued DS-2019 forms) holders (required by the United States):
    • Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-” or above, a Standard & Poor’s Claims-Paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above; or
    • Backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country.
    • Co-insurance provisions will be permitted requiring exchange visitor to pay up to 25% of covered benefits per accident or illness.
  • The School of Veterinary Medicine students are required to have the student health insurance coverage through enrollment in the university-sponsored plan or to provide proof of participation in an equal or higher coverage insurance program. 


- See more at: