All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically charged for and enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan to be considered as long as it meets the minimum requirements listed and an on-line wavier request is submitted by deadline.
The medical health insurance policy must provide coverage for the entire semester dates indicated. Partial coverage is not accepted.
When proof of other approved medical health insurance is submitted by the deadline dates, the charges for the LSU policy will be credited. It is estimated that this will take approximately 10 business days for the credit to appear on the student account. For summer 2019, F and J students may submit their on line insurance waiver request at UHC/Gallagher. You will find the link to the waiver request under “Student Waive” located at the upper left hand corner. Please note that your coverage must be effective from June 1, 2019 through August 13, 2019 for the summer 2019 semester. The deadline date to submit the on line insurance waiver is Tuesday, June 11, 2019 (no exceptions.).
Notice to LSU Sponsored J Student VISA Holders:
LSU sponsored J student visa holders and their J-2 dependent(s), if applicable, are required to have adequate medical health insurance for the entire duration of their program (which includes all dates between semesters.) Proof of other approved medical health insurance coverage is required and must be submitted by the insurance provider. International Services will contact those LSU sponsored J students who have submitted an on line waiver directly when it is time for the insurance providers to submit proof of insurance to International Services. After receiving proof of insurance, International Services will verify whether the medical health insurance plans meet US Department of State and University requirements and have the appropriate coverage dates. This review is in addition to the on line insurance waiver portal submission; therefore, this process could take more time. Fee bill credits to student accounts will not appear until this verification is completed.
- As a reminder, if you extend Academic Training (J-1 off campus work authorization) you must extend your medical health insurance policy and repatriation/medical evacuation benefits in order to remain in J lawful status.
Please Note: You must submit an on-line waiver request at the UHC/Gallagher website date at the beginning of each and every semester of registration regardless of the coverage end date stated on previously submitted waiver requests. ALL F and J students should request an on-line insurance waiver (if desired), regardless if the LSU student medical health insurance charge appears on their fee bill at that time or not.
The University requires evidence to make sure that international students on F and J visas comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance requirement!
It is mandatory that all non-immigrant international students who hold F and J visa statuses have medical health insurance which is acceptable to the University.
- This includes part-time and full-time registration. Please note that the 2018-2019 insurance premiums have changed. Under LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan (SASIP), new incoming students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $514 for the summer 2019 plan. This charge provides students with medical health insurance coverage from June 1, 2019 through August 13, 2019.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you enrolled in the spring/summer 2019 LSU endorsed plan, you will not be automatically charged for the summer 2019 semester. The spring/summer plan is effective from January 6, 2019 through August 13, 2019.
- PLEASE NOTE: Do not select or remove the LSU student medical health insurance plan through MyLSU or Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare online website if you hold F or J visa status since this will cause errors in your fee bill and insurance problems.
- The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare (LSU's
insurance company) directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are
NOT automatically charged for LSU's student medical health insurance plan:
- Non-immigrant international students with visa status other than F and J.
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (DO) for summer 2019.
- Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT: F-1) or Academic Training who are not enrolled for credit hours.
United HealthCare will mail out permanent student medical health insurance cards to new incoming students this summer 2019 semester using their Baton Rouge home address listed on their MyLSU account (please keep address updated in your MyLSU account.) A temporary student medical health insurance card may be downloaded by following these steps:
- Go to Gallagher Student Website.
- On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’.
- Log in (if you haven’t already).
- On the left toolbar, under ‘My Account’, click on ‘Authorize Account’.
- Enter your Student ID number and your date of birth.
- Click on ‘Authorize Account’.
- You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’
under ‘Coverage History’.
- Again, all F and J visa holders who want LSU's Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan should not select the plan via MyLSU or on line. This will cause errors on your fee bill and problems with your insurance. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill each and every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
- All questions concerning waivers, enrollment of dependents, benefits, claims, or billing problems of the assessed insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare.
- If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are always required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency), or your claims will not be paid. To avoid problems or delays, regardless of your insurance policy, always carry your student medical health insurance card as you would your drivers’ license.