Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies (WGSS) is an interdisciplinary program that examines the multiple roles gender plays in everyday life, the impacts of gendered practices on social, cultural, and political behavior and thought, and the intersections of gender, race, sexuality, ability, age, and class.
Students are required to major in Liberal Arts and concentrate in Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies. This means students are allowed more interdisciplinary freedom when selecting their academic paths. Most students who concentrate in WGSS decide to earn a double major because of the program's interdisciplinary nature. For more information, visit the catalog on how to obtain a degree with two majors or graduating with two degrees.
Required courses for the B.A. in Liberal Arts with a Concentration in WGSS
As a student pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Liberal Arts with a Concentration in Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies, you will be required to complete 36 hours of course work, including:
- WGS 2500, "Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies" (3 credit hours);
- WGS 2900, "Gender, Race, and Nation" (3 credit hours);
- WGS 3150, "Survey of Feminist Theory" (3 credit hours);
- WGS 4500, "Special Topics in Women's and Gender Studies" (6 credit hours).
- An approved cross-cultural course (3 credit hours).
- You must also complete 18 additional hours of electives.
- These electives should be WGSS-approved social science/humanities electives.
- Of these elective courses, 9 hours must be at the 3000 level or above.
- You should contact the WGSS undergraduate adviser to ensure your electives are eligible for degree credit.
- WGSS courses, approved electives, and cross-cultural courses can be found on the WGSS Undergraduate Program Overview and Classes Flyer, see below.
A list of our electives and course descriptions can be found here.
What can you do with a WGSS Concentration?
There are several amazing things you can do with a concentration in WGSS in which this program can combine and enhance your current major (if applicable) when you enter the job market. In fact, did you know that there are more than 200 career paths you can follow with a concentration in WGSS? Check out our website for a comprehensive list of career options available. If you are interested in finding out more about concentrating in WGSS, email the Undergraduate Advisor, Challen Nicklen, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email the Director of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, Benjamin Kahan, email@example.com.
Stop by our office in 362 Hatcher Hall to learn more!
View the suggested path in the catalog for concentrating in WGSS
View the WGSS Undergraduate Program Overview and Classes Flyer
View the WGSS Undergraduate Concentration Flyer
Email the Undergraduate Advisor, Challen Nicklen
Check out the professional development page for more information on careers, grad school, and community organizations.
Visit the WGSS-related Student Organizations page to find out how to get active on campus.