English as a Second Language Add-On Endorsement Offering Summer Classes
April 14, 2022
BATON ROUGE, LA - The School of Education is offering an English as a Second Language Add-On Endorsement. Teachers who pursue the ESL add-on endorsement have reported improvement on their English learners’ ELPT scores and overall achievement. Teachers feel more equipped and prepared to teach English Learners in all content areas and grade levels. If your school system is trying to meet the academic and language needs of your English Learners by providing content-based instruction in all K-12 classrooms, English as a Second Language classes for direct English language instruction, newcomer classes for newly arrived English Learners, and school-specific EL programming tailored to individual school realities, then make sure to enroll in the following ESL courses:
- EDCI 4800 Teaching in the Multicultural Classroom (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 4900 ESL Methods (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 4900 Second Language Curriculum Design (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 5880 Introduction to the English Language (3 credit hours)
These four courses satisfy LDOE’s requirement for the ESL add-on endorsement that is recommended for all teachers who work with English Learners. All courses are offered online, can be completed in 1 year or less, and may even count toward a graduate degree. Two of them (EDCI 4800 & EDCI 5880) are being offered this summer.
You must apply to LSU’s Graduate School and be admitted to register for courses. There is no GRE required for non-degree seeking students. To register as a non-matriculating student:
- Complete the Graduate School Application
- Create an account
- Select "On-Campus"
- Select "Non-Degree" THEN "Non-Degree Seeking"
- Complete the application as indicated
- Upload transcripts from every institution attended, statement of purpose, application fee, resume, and immunizations form
View all summer course offerings.