The Master of Social Work degree attests to the graduate’s preparation for social
work practice and achievement at a level of competence sufficient to serve as a basis
for a professional career. The LSU School of Social Work is accredited by the Council
on Social Work Education (CSWE) and has been offering graduate education since 1937.
The MSW degree requires 60 hours of study and students admitted to the MSW program
must elect to enter either:
- Full-time (15 hrs/ semester) 2 years to complete with fall start date
- Part-time (6 hrs/semester) 3-4 years to complete with fall start date
- Advanced standing (3 hrs/summer term plus 15 hrs/semester) 1 year to complete with summer start date
- MSW Online (7 week module) 6 start dates per year
The first year 30 hours of the program is the "foundation year," and the second 30
hours of study is termed the "advanced year" for full-time students. Students usually
complete an internship concurrently with coursework. No academic credit is granted
for work or life experiences. Time limit to complete the degree is four years.
How to Apply
Application to the School of Social Work is the same for all programs-- Full time,
Part time, Advanced Standing and MSW Online. Application to LSU is a two step process.
Applicants must submit 1) MSW supplemental application materials to the School of
Social Work, and 2) a graduate application to the LSU Graduate School.
Submit to the School of Social Work:
- Supplemental SW Application submitted in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of Intent submitted in pdf format to email@example.com.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two recommendations need to be college academic sources and one from a professional
source (work/volunteer). The form must be received in the School of Social Work by
the appropriate deadline. A letter must be attached to this form, but a letter alone
will not suffice. You may send your letters of recommendation before you complete
the graduate school online application and/or the social work supplemental application.
We will hold these letters until an applicant completes the graduate school online
application. These need to be sent by the recommender to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Current resume or vita.
- One official copy of all transcripts from all universities attended. Transcripts may
be mailed in sealed envelopes to the LSU School of Social Work, 313 Huey P. Long Fieldhouse,
Baton Rouge, LA 70803 or sent electronically from a university to email@example.com. (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired).
Official transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required.
Submit to the LSU Graduate School:
- Complete the LSU Graduate School application which includes the application fee, official GRE scores, official copies of transcripts
from all universities attended sent in sealed envelopes to the LSU Graduate School,
114 David Boyd Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 or sent electronically from a university to firstname.lastname@example.org. (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired).Official
transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required. For international applicants whose
native language is not English, scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Applicants DO NOT need to submit a writing sample or program of study to the LSU Graduate
School. Simply type N/A on this section of the online application.
- Applicants DO NOT need to submit letters of recommendation to the LSU Graduate School
as the School of Social Work has its own letter of recommendation form.
- Note: If pursuing the online MSW, please be sure to select "Online" as your campus,
not the Baton Rouge campus.
Applicants with missing application materials by the School of Social Work deadline
will not be considered. A completed application is the LSU Graduate School application,
fee payment, Social Work supplemental application, letter of intent, three Social
Work recommendation forms with supporting letters, resume, and transcripts.