Scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need and academic achievement. The School of Social Work awards scholarships ranging from approximately $500-$2,400 to continuing full-time students in the MSW program. Newly enrolled students are not eligible for scholarships. Each scholarship has set criteria and applicants should only apply for the scholarships for which you qualify. Students may apply for all forms of financial assistance, but it is the School of Social Work’s general policy that a student may not receive more than one award. Scholarships are awarded in the fall semester of a student’s advanced year.
- Marwood Ahrens Scholarship in substance abuse
- Paul Arst, Jr. Scholarship
- Paul Phelps Memorial Scholarship
- Betty J. Stewart Memorial Scholarship
- Nancy Dicharry Memorial Award
- Carl Maddox Scholarship
- Metropolitan Lions Club Scholarship (for a student from Southern University)
- Jimmy Lea Moles Scholarship
- Baton Rouge Board of Realtors Scholarship
- Medical Social Work Scholarship
- Alice A. and Milton E. Schmidt Scholarship
- School of Social Work Faculty Honor Fellowship
- Social Work Entering Class of 1951
- Kyra L. Jones Memorial Fellowship
- Gloria Pichon Clayton/Texas Tiger Tournament Endowed Scholarship
- Phyllis LeFeaux & Drayton Vincent Scholarship in Mental Health
- James Midgely Leadership Award
- Adrian Aycock Memorial Scholarship
- Pennington Child & Adolescent Mental Health Award
- LGPS Training Award Endowment
- Christine Moore Memorial Fellowship
- Charlotte Kamiya Memorial Scholarship
- Dean Emeritus Brij Mohan Award
Students may apply for graduate and undergraduate scholarships with the College of Human Sciences & Education.
MSW graduate assistantships are awarded on the basis of academic performance and research skill. MSW graduate assistants are expected to work for the School for 10 hours per week, rotating among the faculty. Job duties include, but are not limited to library research, data collection and input, statistical analysis, summarizing research articles, assisting in preparation of classroom material, and other duties related to the faculty member’s research. You will NOT be responsible for teaching, grading or other instructional duties. MSW graduate assistant salary is approximately $6000 for a nine-month appointment (subject to change). Graduate assistantships are contingent upon available funding and may not be awarded to MSW students.
Graduate School Tuition Awards
The graduate dean may award up to 200 tuition exemptions to graduate students from underrepresented groups. The tuition awards provide for an exemption from either or both the resident and nonresident fee. Recipients are responsible for paying university-required fees. Preference will be given to African American students and students from Latin American countries. Students must be regularly admitted to a graduate program at LSU and be nominated by their departments.