You are interested in helping people maintain or achieve good health by teaching them to eat well and live healthier lives.
About Nutrition & Food Sciences
Learn about nutrition and the research, development, packaging, and distribution of our food supply. At LSU, you will participate in hands-on learning, professional development, and faculty-led research to prepare for a health-related profession or career in business or agriculture.
- Dietetics: Gain the knowledge necessary to take the exam to become a registered dietician. Registered dietitians provide expertise in nutrition and food service management in a variety of settings.
- Food Science and Technology: This curriculum follows the National Institute of Food Technologists guidelines to provide a strong basic foundation for the study of post-production properties and processing of food products.
- Nutrition, Health, and Society: This concentration will prepare you for a career in the health professions, specifically dietetics or medicine, or in the food industry.
- Nutritional Sciences/Pre-medicine: This concentration will prepare you for a career in the health professions, specifically dietetics or medicine, or in the food industry. Since nutrition plays a role in the prevention and treatment of many chronic and acute diseases, an understanding of the role of nutrients in the body provides pre-medical students with a strong basis for building their medical careers.
- Food inspector
- Food scientist
- Packaging engineer
- Product Development scientist
- Quality Control analyst
- Sustainability specialist
- Wellness coordinator
Once you're an LSU student, you'll need to meet the requirements below to continue pursuing this major.
- 2.0 GPA in all coursework (2.5 GPA for transfer)
- 2.0 cumulative GPA in courses toward degree requirements
- grade of "C" or better in ENGL 1001 and MATH 1021 or higher
B.S., Bachelor of Science
Course Load by Subject Area
- Agriculture: High Intensity
- Science: Medium Intensity
- Business & Economics: Low Intensity
- Communication: Low Intensity
- History & Law: Low Intensity
- View all course loads