Change of Status to F2
Change of Status to F-2 Dependent
Your F-1 spouse must be an LSU student for IS assistance. USCIS Service Center must
receive the application for change of status before the current status ends. Applicants
may lawfully remain in the U.S. while the COS application is pending. F-2 dependents
are not allowed to enroll for classes or accept employment of any kind. If you cannot
apply for the change of status to F-2 before your current status ends, or if you wish
to be changed to F-2 in less time, you must exit the U.S., apply for an F-2 visa stamp,
and re-enter the US in F2 status.
Your spouse must request the F2 I-20 for you. They should complete a Green Sheet Request
Form at the Front Desk and attach the items below:
- Specific details of their financial ability to support you as an F-2. This can be
a bank statement, proof of any financial aid including graduate assistantship information,
a completed Affidavit of Support form, etc., or a combination of different sources.
- Their most current LSU I-20.
Once you have collected the F2 I-20, schedule a one hour appointment with the COS
adviser at IS by calling (225)578-3191.
Bring the following documentation with you when you come to your appointment:
- Completed I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status). The form is available
at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539.pdf. Answers must be typed.
- Proof of your current non-immigrant status: Visa, I-94 document, USCIS approval notices
- Employment/business documentation, latest 3 monthly paystubs or other proof of income,
previous I-20’s, valid passport, etc. (as applicable). If you have dependents that
will also need to change status to F-2, include copies of the same documents.
- Original F-2 I-20 (signed and dated by your spouse).
- Proof of identity and valid non-immigrant status of the F1 principal status holder:
Copies of passport, I-94, visa, I-20’s, USCIS approval notices, etc.
- Proof of your relationship with of the F1 principal status holder: Copy of marriage
certificate and if not in English, a simple translation must be provided.
- Proof of finances: Bank letter/statements, proof of any financial aid including graduate
assistantship information, a completed Affidavit of Support form, etc., or a combination
of different sources.
- Letter addressed to USCIS Adjudicator: With an explanation of your current status
and requesting a change to F2. Explain why you wish to change and provide any other
relevant information concerning your immigration status. (If this is not the first
time you are applying for a change of status, summarize all your previous changes).
- Processing Fee. The Immigration Service requires a processing fee of $290.00. Personal
check or money order should be made payable to “US Department of Homeland Security”.
No cash or temporary checks are accepted. If filing electronically, a credit card
will be required.