SAP and Your Financial Aid


What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

For the purpose of determining financial aid eligibility under Title IV of the Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965, an institution must establish reasonable standards for measuring whether a student is maintaining satisfactory academic progress (SAP).

How do I maintain SAP?

To maintain SAP and retain federal aid eligibility, you must meet the following criteria after each semester. View LSU-specific requirements at

  • Pass a minimum percentage of all courses attempted
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA
  • Complete a degree or certificate program within a maximum time frame

Will dropping a class affect my SAP?

You are encouraged to check with Financial Aid before dropping a course. This could affect your "Pace of Progression," which could cause you not to meet SAP and lose your federal aid eligibility.

Do the classes I take affect my SAP?

Always ensure you are taking courses that are required for your degree. Only required courses are eligible for federal aid. Also, you could exceed your maximum time frame and not meet SAP, which could result in loss of federal aid eligibility.