DVM Transfer Applications
To be considered for FALL '19 semester transfer admission, application material will be accepted between January 1st, 2019 and prior to May 1st, 2019.
Guidelines for Transfer into DVM Curriculum
The LSU School of Veterinary Medicine will consider all transfer requests on a case-by-case basis subject to availability of space, the reason for requesting transfer, the quality of the applicant, and what the applicant would bring to the DVM program in terms of educational, cultural, ethnic, and geographical diversity. Only students who are in good standing, have a GPA of 3.2 or better, and are not on currently on academic or disciplinary probation will be considered for transfer.
Transfer into the most appropriate semester of the curriculum will be considered based on how the curriculum of the school from which the student is transferring fits into our curricular template; however, transfers will typically only be accepted into the second year from AVMA accredited and non-accredited institutions. In general, completion of a minimum of three semesters of coursework is needed for consideration of transfer into the fall semester of second year. The third semester must be completed in the spring semester prior to the requested fall semester of matriculation. In other words, if applying for possible transfer into the fall '18 semester of the second year class, you have to complete the third semester by the end of the spring '18 semester. The school does not consider transfers into the first or third year of the LSU SVM's DVM program. Additionally, transfer is only considered for the fall semester.
The semester of transfer eligibility can only be determined once we have all application material submitted and begin the transfer application review process in June. In general, qualified Louisiana residents will be given preference. Transfer opportunities vary from year to year but are typically VERY limited if available at all.
Required Application Material
All application material must be received no earlier than January 1st, 2019 and no later than May 1st, 2019 by the LSU SVM Admissions Office in order to be considered for possible transfer.
- Transfer Application Form – Please click on the link to download this form and complete it electronically. Do not hand-write requested information on the form.
- Letter of Intent – Your letter of intent is your official request for transfer, so you should explain the reason for your transfer request, giving supporting details for the request such as why you chose the LSU SVM and why you feel you would make a strong addition to the LSU SVM. If you feel that you would qualify for transfer into a semester other than the LSU SVM’s fall semester of second year, be sure to state into which semester/year you are applying to transfer.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your CV should include your work experience (veterinary and/or non-veterinary) as well as any additional animal experience/knowledge you feel is relevant. Your work experience must include the employer’s name, address, phone, supervisor’s name, dates of employment and a list of your duties and responsibilities.
- Official Letter from CVM Dean – This letter of good standing should certify that you are in good academic and disciplinary standing, have not been on academic probation, and have not been subject to any disciplinary action or dismissal for any reason.
- Official CVM Transcript – An official transcript is required from your current CVM to be sent directly to the LSU SVM Admissions Office. Your CVM transcript must be received by no later than June 1st and must include all credits and grades from every semester attended, including spring semester of application cycle. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an initial CVM official transcript prior to the May 1st deadline as well as a final CVM official transcript at the end of the spring semester.
- Official Undergraduate/Graduate Transcript(s) – An official transcript is required from every institution attended to be sent to the LSU SVM Admissions Office directly from each institution. All undergraduate/graduate transcripts must be received by May 1st.
Optional (But Highly Desired) Application Material
- GRE Score – Your official GRE score(s) must be sent directly from ETS to the LSU SVM’s school code of 6381, and must be received by May 1st. The highest overall score from the past five years will be used if multiple exam scores are submitted.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation – Only letters of recommendation received by May 1st will be considered. At least
one letter must be submitted with your transfer application, excluding the official
letter from your CVM Dean.
Please mail the following application material together in one packet using the mailing instructions below. These materials must be received by no later than May 1st.
- Transfer Application Form
- Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
The following application material must be submitted to the LSU SVM directly from the institutions/persons, and must be received by May 1st.
- Official Letter from CVM Dean
- Official Undergraduate/Graduate Transcript(s)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
- Initial Official CVM Transcript (highly desired but not necessary as long as your
final official CVM transcript is received by no later than June 1st)
The following application material must be submitted to the LSU SVM directly from the institutions/persons, and must be received by no later than June 1st.
- Final Official CVM Transcript which includes spring credits/grades (Your final official CVM transcript must be received by no later than June 1st and must include all credits and grades from every semester attended, including spring semester of application cycle.)
Where to Mail Material?
Please use the following address:
Attn: Director of Admissions & Enrollment
Office of Veterinary Education & Student Affairs
LSU School of Veterinary Medicine
Skip Bertman Drive, Room 1213
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
To ensure faster delivery to SVM, applicants are strongly encouraged to use FedEx or regular United States Postal Service mail.