2011-Current: Assistant Director, Division of BIOMMed, Cordinator COBRE, LSU SVM.
2005- 2011 : Post Doctoral Research Fellow, LSU, New Orleans/Baton rouge (J-1/H1B)
2003-2005 : Post Doctoral Research Associate, Univ. of Illinois, College of Medicine, Peoria (J-1)
1996-1997 : Project Assistant, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
Post Doctoral Research — U of Illinois, College of Medicine at Peoria (October 2003 – January 2005). During this period I was studying the effects of down regulation of matrix degrading proteases such as MMP, UPA and its receptor UPAR, and cathepsin in breast cancer cell lines. I had introduced shRNA constructs driven by the CMV promoter for the downregulation of the above mentioned genes to study the effects of RNAi induced downregulation on 1)the induction of angiogenesis 2)the invasive abilities of cancer cells, 3)the formation and migration of spheroids & 4) induction of apoptosis. Ph.D. in genetics (1997- March 2003): Production of transgenic rice plants resistant to Lepidopteran insects.SUMMARY: Developed an efficient protocol for the Agrobacterium mediated genetic transformation of indica rice varieties and used it to introduce the Bt genes- cry1Ab, cry1Ac and the snowdrop lectin gene (gna) into the parents used in hybrid rice program. I have shown molecular confirmation of the integration and expression of transgenes. The inheritance pattern of transgenes was also determined by analysis of the T1 generation of plants. Insect bioassays were carried to assess resistance conferred on the rice transgenics by Bt genes against yellow stem-borer, which is one of the major insect pests of rice.
Over the years I have had opportunity to work in various laboratories where in I have gained expertise in range of molecular biological techniques. I have extensive experience in molecular biological techniques ranging from PCR, cloning, southern, northern and western blots. I also have expertise in primer design for Q-PCR and Q-PCR analysis, Codon optimization of coding sequences for enhanced expression, site-directed mutagenesis using PCR and genetic recombination techniques to generate mutant viruses. I have extensive experience in the design of sh RNAs for the specific targeting of mammalian genes using expression vectors. Furthermore I am experienced in DNA sequencing and analyzing sequences for mutations and codon optimizations. I am well equipped in the handling mammalian cell cultures suspension and adherent, virus infections, purification and concentration/purification of virus by step gradients. I have used purified virions for Immuno gold labeling experiments to demonstrate presence of envelope glycoproteins using Transmission Electron Microscopy. I am well versed with in vitro angiogenesis assays and generation of spheroids in vitro to carryout tumor migration studies as well as tumor studies on animal models. Co-investigatorLouisiana Cancer Research Consortium (Kousoulas, Konstantin G.) 11/1/2007-10/31/2009. Inhibition of Arginase I in vivo induces a therapeutic anti-tumor immune responses. The work deals with the use of oncolytic herpesvirus armed with siRNA for cancer therapy.Governor’s Biotechnology Initiative Program Grant (Kousoulas, Konstantin G.) 10/24/02-06/30/10. Louisiana Board of Regents. New cancer treatment modalities. This overall program project focuses on the use of adenoviruses and herpesviruses for the expression of specific lymphokines, transcriptional factors and other genes for the treatment of tumors in a mouse model.
• David A T; Saied A A; Charles A S; Subramanian R; Chouljenko V N; Kousoulas K G.(2012 mBio in press) A Mutant Herpes Simplex Virus Type-1 (HSV-1) McKrae Lacking the Glycoprotein K (gK) Gene is Unable to Infect Neuronal Axons and Egress from Neuronal Cell Bodies
• Chouljenko DV., Kim IJ, Chouljenko VN., Subramanian R, Kousoulas KG. (2012 JVI in press) Delineation of the Functional Hierarchy of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1) Viral Glycoproteins in Cytoplasmic Virion Envelopment and Egress.
• Jambunathan N, Chowdhury S, Chouljenko V, Subramanian R, Walker J, Kousoulas KG (2011 JVI in press).Site-Specific Proteolytic Cleavage of the Amino-terminal Portion of HSV-1 Glycoprotein K (gK) on Virion Particles Inhibits Virus Entry. J Virol. 2011 Dec;85(24):12910-8.
• Subramanian R, Sehgal I, D'Auvergne O, Kousoulas KG (2010). Kaposi’s Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus (KSHV) Viral Glycoproteins B (gB) and K8.1 Regulate Virion Egress and VEGF and vIL-6 Synthesis in BCBL-1 Cells. (J Virol. Feb;84(4):1704-14.)
• Subramanian R, D'Auvergne O, Kong H, Kousoulas KG. (2008) The cytoplasmic terminus of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus glycoprotein B is not essential for virion egress and infectivity. J Virol. Jul;82(14):7144-54.
• Subramanian R, Gondi CS, Lakka SS, Jutla A, Rao JS. (2006) siRNA-mediated simultaneous downregulation of uPA and its receptor inhibits angiogenesis and invasiveness triggering apoptosis in breast cancer cells Int J Oncol. Apr;28(4):831-9.
• B. Malathi, S. Ramesh, K. Venkateswara Rao & V. Dashavantha Reddy (2006) Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation and production of semilooper resistant transgenic castor (Ricinus communis L.) Euphytica 147: 441–449.
• Ramesh S, Nagadhara D, Reddy VD and Rao KV (2004). Production of transgenic indica rice resistant to yellow stem borer and sap-sucking insects, using super binary vectors of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Science. 166:1077-1085.
• Ramesh S, Nagadhara D, Padmakumari APK, Pasalu IC, Sarma NP, Reddy VD and Rao KV (2004). Development of stem borer resistant transgenic parental lines involved in the production of hybrid rice. J Biotechnol. 111(2):131-41.
• Nagadhara D, Ramesh S, Pasalu IC, Rao KY, Krishnaiah NV, Sarma NP, Reddy VD and Rao KV (2004). Transgenic rice plants expressing the snowdrop lectin gene ( gna) exhibit high-level resistance to the whitebacked planthopper ( Sogatella furcifera). (Theoretical and Applied Genetics). 109(7):1399-405.
• Nagadhara D, Ramesh S, Pasalu IC, Rao KY, Krishnaiah NV, Sarma NP, Bown DP, Gatehouse JA, Reddy VD and Rao KV (2003). Transgenic indica rice plants resistant to sap sucking insects. Plant Biotechnology Journal 1 (3): 231-240.
SELECTED POSTER PRESENTATIONS
• Jambunathan N, Chowdhury S, Chouljenko VN, Subramanian R, Walker J, Kousoulas KG. Site-Specific Proteolytic Cleavage of the Amino-terminal Portion of HSV-1 Glycoprotein K (gK) on Virion Particles Inhibits Virus Entry. (36th International Herpesvirus Workshop 2011)
• Chouljenko DV., Kim IJ, Chouljenko VN., Subramanian R, Kousoulas KG. Delineation of the Functional Hierarchy of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1) Viral Glycoproteins in Cytoplasmic Virion Envelopment and Egress. (36th International Herpesvirus Workshop 2011)
• Subramanian R, Kousoulas KG. KSHV Glycoproteins gB and K8.1 Regulate the Expression of VEGF in Endothelial cells via Intracrine and Autocrine/paracrine Signaling Pathways (13th International KSHV workshop - 2010)
• Subramanian R, Sehgal I, D'Auvergne O, Kong H, Kousoulas KG. siRNA-mediated inhibition of the KSHV K8.1 and gB glycoprotein synthesis inhibits VEGF and vIL-6 production and tumorigenesis in mice (12th International KSHV workshop - 2009)
• Subramanian R, Baghian A, D’Auvergne O, Kong H, Bickham U and Kousoulas K. G. Carboxyl-terminal truncations of the kshv glycoprotein b, which are known to enhance virus-induced cell fusion cause increased virion egress for bcbl-1 cells (2007). International, KSHV Workshop, Portland, Oregon USA.
• Subramanian R, D’Auvergne O. and Kousoulas K. G Conditional transcriptional silencing of kaposi’s sarcoma associated herpes virus glycoprotein b by siRNA. (2006). Annual meeting of the south central branch of the American Society for Microbiology
• Subramanian R, D’Auvergne O. and Kousoulas K. G (2006) Conditional transcriptional silencing of kaposi’s sarcoma associated herpes virus glycoprotein b by sirna 1st Biennial National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Excellence.
• Kousoulas, K. G., Chouljenko, V., D`Auvergne, O., Subramanian, R (2006). Conditional Transcriptional Silencing of Kaposi’s Sarcoma Associated Herpes Virus Glycoprotein B by siRNA. Annual LSU Gene Therapy symposium.
• Ramesh Subramanian, Christopher S. Gondi, Sajani S. Lakka, Pushpa A. Joseph, Jasti S. Rao (2005) Simultaneous downregulation of uPA and its receptor (uPAR) using siRNA inhibits angiogenesis and invasiveness and triggers the apoptotic cascade in breast cancer cells. (AACR 2005).
• Ramesh S, Nagadhara D, Sarma NP, Reddy VD and Rao KV. (2002) Genetic transformation of parental lines of hybrid rice for insect resistance. (National symposium on “New opportunities and challenges for improving crop productivity through biotechnology”, Hisar - organised by Society for Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology).
• Ramesh S, Nagadhara D, Reddy VD and Rao KV (2001) Insect resistant transgenic parental lines of Hybrid rice. (8th National Rice Biotech Network meeting, Aurangabad).
• Rao KV, Nagadhara D and Ramesh S (1999) Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated transformation of indica rice varieties for insect resistance. (General meeting of The International Program on Rice Biotechnology – Phuket, Thailand).
• Ramesh S, Nagadhara D and Rao KV (1998) Agrobacterium mediated genetic transformation of indica rice. (7th National Rice Biotech Network meeting, Bangalore).