Academic Advising

The Center for Freshman Year (UCFY) serves as a centralized advising center for students enrolled as new freshmen, continuing students, re-entry students and transfer students who have not yet met the admission requirements for a senior college.  This assistance is provided through the first 24-30 hours of enrollment at LSU.

Initial advising during the Freshman and Transfer Student Orientation programs for new freshmen and transfer students is provided by the faculty and staff of the various senior colleges offering the students’ desired major/degree.  Once enrolled in UCFY, students will then seek advising assistance from the UCFY academic counseling staff.

For our undeclared majors, three enrollment options are available, Undeclared with a desire to follow a liberal arts type of degree (UNAH), Undeclared with a desire to follow a social science type of degree (UNSS), or an Undeclared student interested in a field related to science and engineering (UNSE).  

Our Center for Freshman Year academic counselors can assist with advising undeclared majors and provide guidance in the career decision making process.  

Appointments are required for scheduling time with a counselor except during short Walk-In time frames.  You can make an appointment online utilizing our “Schedule an Appointment” link on the UCFY homepage. 

Walk-in visit to 150 Allen Hall
Walk-in visits are sometimes possible, but on a limited basis. When you arrive in 150 Allen Hall, you will be asked to check-in at the front receptionist area to determine if you can be seen and the expected wait time.

Sending an email
You can send an email inquiry to and one of our counselors will respond to you within one business day. Or, you can find the email address to one of our staff by clicking on the "Staff Directory" on our home page under the Academic Advising tab.


Senior College Advising Links


Other Resources