Patient Rights & Responsibilities
The Louisiana State University Student Health Center recognizes its responsibility to respect the basic human rights of all patients who seek treatment here. Therefore, as a patient:
- You have the right to be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- You have the right to every consideration of your privacy concerning your care. Student
Health Center providers reserve the right to consult with one another on a need to
know basis. However, these consultations along with examinations, care and treatment
are absolutely confidential and will be treated as such. No health information pertaining
to you will be released to others, outside the Health Center, without your approval,
except when required by law.
- You have the right to be provided, to the degree known, complete information concerning
your diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and evaluation. When it is professionally inadvisable
to give such information to you, the information will be provided to a person designated
by you or to a legally authorized person.
- You have the right to participate in decisions related to your health care, except
when such participation is contraindicated for health reasons.
- You have the right to request a health care professional of your choice, or to change
your health care professional if other qualified professionals are available. You
may request a second opinion within the staff of the Student Health Center at any
time. You may request a second opinion from a health professional outside the Student
Health Center at any time; the fees for outside consultation are your responsibility.
- At your request, you have the right to information regarding:
a. Your rights as a patient
b. Your responsibilities, conduct and participation as a patient
c. Available services at the Student Health Center
d. Provision for after-hours and emergency coverage
e. Fees for services, payment policies, and explanation of your individual bill
f. Provider credentialing
g. Living Will (patient asked if they have one upon check-in process or if they’d like more info)
- You have the right to bring any grievance or suggestion concerning the organization
to the attention of the Student Health Center Executive Director.
- You may also provide feedback, including complaints, by completing the brief “Patient
Feedback" form on the Student Health Center website.
- You have the right to refuse to participate in any experimental research study and
to have full knowledge of any potential hazard involved.
- When the need arises, reasonable attempts are made for health care professionals and
other staff to communicate in the language or manner primarily used by you.
TITLE: PATIENT RESPONSIBILITIES
The Student Health Center Staff cares for the well-being of the Louisiana State University students and values a collaborative partnership with the patient and the health care team working together. You will be expected, within the limits of your abilities, to share in the responsibility for your health care.
- You have the responsibility to keep appointments. If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment,
you must contact the Student Health Center, in the defined timeframe, or you may be
subject to an appointment no-show charge.
- You have the responsibility to provide complete and accurate information, to the best
of your ability, regarding your health, allergies and sensitivities, past illnesses,
hospitalizations, medications (including over-the-counter and dietary supplements)
and other matters relating to your health.
- You have the responsibility to cooperate with all Student Health Center personnel
caring for you, and to ask questions if you do not understand any information given
- You have the responsibility to follow the treatment plan prescribed by your health
care professional and participate in your care.
- You have the responsibility to promptly pay your bills, to ask questions you may have
concerning your bills, and to provide the information necessary for insurance processing.
You are also responsible for any charges not covered by your insurance.
- You have the responsibility to be respectful of all staff and others in the Student
Health Center, of other people’s property, and that of the Student Health Center.
- You have the responsibility to abide by the Student Health Center rules and regulations.
- You have the responsibility to act in consideration of the health of others.