Faculty and Parent Resources

Faculty and staff are sometimes the first people to notice signs of distressed students. Please see the following link for information about students in distress, how you can help, and when to make a referral to Mental Health Service.

How to help a student of concern?


Consultation for Parents

Parents may consult with our staff if they believe a student is in distress and they are uncertain about how to help. If you have concerns regarding a student's emotional functioning or behavior, including alcohol use, depression or anxiety, unusual behavior or overall psychological well-being, we encourage you to speak with a professional staff member from the Mental Health Service. To consult, call our office at 225-578-8774 and ask to speak with the Crisis-Counselor. The Crisis-Counselor will ask for information about the situation in order to help you determine how to proceed. In doing so, the Crisis-Counselor is still required to maintain the confidentiality of any student seen at the Mental Health Service.

Encouraging Your Student to Make an Appointment

If a student is not in crisis, but you believe is in need of counseling services, then you would encourage him/her to contact the Mental Health Service for a Clinical Consultation appointment. Here are the steps involved in getting your student in to see a Mental Health Service staff member:

  • Encourage your son/daughter to contact the Mental Health Service to schedule a Clinical Consultation appointment. Students may schedule appointments by calling the Mental Health Service at 225-578-8774. Students will need to complete paperwork prior to their consultation.
  • After completing the Clinical Consultation appointment, the counselor and student will decide what services are best suited to meet their needs.
  • Once it is decided what service(s) is/are most appropriate for the student, the service will either be provided to the student or they will receive a community referral to best address their concerns.