Frequently Asked Questions


The acronym stands for School of Collaborative Academic Programs. However, SCAP is a degree granting unit as with any of the university’s colleges.

SCAP was designed so that there would be an academic unit for new degrees and program certificates that did not logistically align with only one college or school.  

SCAP accepts faculty proposals for both undergraduate and graduate programs.

18 student credit hours for an undergraduate certificate

12-33 student credit hours for a post-baccalaureate certificate

12-18 student credit hours for grad certificates

No. SCAP is an academic degree granting unit. It comes under the administrative authority of the Office of Academic Affairs.

No. SCAP offers degrees and program certificates in the same format(s) as that of any other college or school at LSU.

No. Just as curricula and course formats leading to a degree are decided by the faculty of an academic unit, the same is true for degrees offered through SCAP.  The school welcomes faculty proposals for degrees involving all forms of classes—i.e., 100% in-person classes, 100% online classes, or any combination of both.

Typically a basic undergraduate certificate proposal submitted to SCAP in one semester of a given academic year can be ready for students by the same semester of the next academic year. However, the time it takes—from the initial proposal submission to SCAP through final approval by the Board of Regents—depends upon the composition and/or complexity of the certificate, e.g.- Is it an undergraduate or graduate certificate? Will new courses (also requiring approval) be included? 

The time it takes—from the initial proposal submission to SCAP through final approval by the Board of Regents—depends upon the composition and/or complexity of the degree, e.g.- Will the degree proposal require a Letter of Intent? Will new courses (also requiring approval) be included? Is it an undergraduate or graduate degree?  

To obtain an estimate for the timeframe involved, it is best to discuss these details, as they pertain to your particular degree proposal, with the SCAP program director.

Any LSU faculty member can contact SCAP to discuss an idea or to submit a proposal. 

No. The program director would be happy to meet with individuals or groups at any stage of inquiry, i.e., chat about an idea, explore opportunities for potential collaborations, or just ask questions to learn more about SCAP.

Since the mission of SCAP is to promote collaborative programs, a minimum of two (2) faculty members, presumably from different colleges, are expected to be part of the proposal submission team.  One member of the team will act as the Faculty Lead (Liaison) for the group. There is no maximum on the number of faculty team members involved in a proposal submission to the School.  

Some LSU degree programs in stand-alone colleges and schools require accreditation and some do not. Should the need arise, SCAP will, in coordination with the LSU Office of Institutional Effectiveness, work with proposal teams to navigate through this process.

The unit in which a course is offered will receive the student credit hours for that course, as usual. If a course is cross-listed, then student credit hours are distributed by the rubric in which the student is registered.  

The only difference is that a SCAP intended degree or certificate proposal must first come to SCAP.

Any degree obtained through the school is a SCAP degree. Conceivably a student could double major with a degree from SCAP and one from another of LSU’s degree granting units.

No. SCAP does not offer its own courses, i.e.-you will not find a “SCAP 101” in the LSU Catalog.  Thus, courses cannot be cross-listed with SCAP.  However, SCAP is a degree granting unit.  Any course listed as part of the curriculum for a degree or program certificate offered by SCAP will be labeled with the prefix of that course’s department, school, or college.  Student credit hours remain with the department/school/college in which the course is listed.


First-year students will be advised by UCFY (University College First Year) counselors.  Thereafter, students will be advised by UCAC (University Center for Advising & Counseling). 

You will march with graduates from the School of Collaborative Academic Programs (SCAP).